Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WINXP HOME SP2 ISSUE

Status
Not open for further replies.

mr3953

IS-IT--Management
Sep 9, 2002
US
I know this is an old issue but I can't find a normal solution to this problem. One of my clients brought her HP to work b/c when she tries installing SP2 on her laptop it crashes when she reboots, system can restored without any problems or logging in to the save mode but I can't find why its crashing after it reboots. Any ideas.

I update bios, disabled system restore before installing sp2, disabled MacAfee and closed any programs available.

Thanks for your help.

1. Celeron or P4?

2. DEP incompatability
Edit boot.ini so that it reads:

[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINXPH="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /noexecute=alwaysoff /NOPAE

instead of

[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINXPH="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

Its AMD Ahtlon XP-m Laptop pavilion zv5000

In few reboots I could catch that the blue screen error has something about bios update or something in this matter.

changed the boot.ini file and I had two options whe it boots default windows and windows xp home edition when i choose default it gives me the same error when I choose home editon its mission a .dll file

its was downloaded from the website...order the from microsoft...i had a problem with the download version..myself.. got the disk.. no problem

Thanks for your help will do.

Anyone know which order drivers are loaded in?
thread779-1180345

In your Windows folders will be the Service Pack logs which may contain information that might be helpful.
Locate the Windows XP SP2 Setup log files. The Setup program logs information about the Windows XP SP2 installation to the following log files: • Setupapi.log • Svcpack.log.

Slipstream Service Packs
thread779-900263

To get further information about the error look in your Event viewer.

Look in the System or Application folder. You can get to the Event Viewer via right click My Computer icon and select Manage.

Any errors logged in the Event Viewer can be expanded by double clicking on the error line.

Take any event error I.D. number and search for it on these sites.

Also check any "Information" line that mentions "savedump" and you should find reference to "recovered from a bug check". This is the Stop Error that caused your problem.

You can also turn off "automatically restart after an error" so it will just halt at the fault and display the full Stop Error and blue screen.

Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties .
On the Advanced tab, click Settings under Startup and Recovery .
Click to clear the Automatically restart check box under System failure , and then click OK . The error message on a blue screen should remain on the screen so you can record the error information. You have a similar option via Safe Mode screen options.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back