Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Winxp home sp2 can ping hostname and ip, cannot browse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryjin

IS-IT--Management
Feb 21, 2008
CA
i have a client system here with windows XP it cannot browse any sites it can however ping via IP address and hostname such as or 64.233.187.104
i have tried checking settings for proxys (these seem ok as there are none set from what i can tell) i have checked automatic detect network settings as i am on a router behind a DSL modem, i have tryed TRK (im not very versed in use of linux and TRK) i have installed nod 32 (scan was clean but unable to update) same with spybot and adaware se i have tryed replacing the browser (uninstalled firefox and IE7 both failed to reconnect the system to net) i have ran winsockfix with no success ... i have gotten so fustrated with this i have even gone so far as to do a repair installation

any help with this is greatly appresated as i have spent over 10 hrs on this and have made little to no progress
thanks Ryjin

oh one more thing adaware is able to update but im still unable to update spybot or browse any webpages

Can you put the IP address in instead of the name in the browser and get out that way?

I had a similiar issue a while ago, i tried a multiple of not sure wich one worked. so you could try the following.

reisntall the service pack. and test
In the tcpip properties enter some dns, and reboot, then go back into tcpip properties, and put it on dhcp. reboot and test

I remember that there was some issue with the dns settings. not sure why but it worked. never came across that issue again.

Many Thanks
Yurov Ardyy

ohh one last thing, have you tried to reinstall the NIC drivers.

Many Thanks
Yurov Ardyy

If you can ping the loopback, then the IP stack is in place. Likely, it is a driver issue.

Burt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back