Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WinXP does not like Win2k Server Active Directory domain 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigBZ

Programmer
Jul 29, 2003
US
We have a windows 2000 server pro server set up with domain access for all users in our network. we have two Dell Desktop PCs that came with windows XP. These two PCs continually have print/network issues which I believe are just side effects of the real problem. both machines have the following errors repeatedly, on a daily basis, and this is ONLY the XP machines.
Event Type: Warning
Event Source: w32time
Event Category: None
Event ID: 54
Date: 7/19/2003
Time: 6:08:47 PM
User: N/A
Computer: COMPUTER
Description:
The Windows Time Service was not able to find a Domain Controller. A time and date update was not possible.
Data:
0000: e5 03 00 00 å...

Event Type: Error
Event Source: NETLOGON
Event ID: 5719
Date: 7/19/2003
Time: 4:39:18 PM
Description:
No Windows NT or Windows 2000 Domain Controller is available for domain PULSE. The following error occurred:
There are currently no logon servers available to service the logon request.
Data:
0000: 5e 00 00 c0 ^..À

Event Source: Userenv
Event ID: 1000
Date: 7/22/2003
Time: 3:21:45 AM
User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Description:
Windows cannot determine the user or computer name. Return value (1722).

Event Source: AutoEnrollment
Event ID: 15
Date: 7/22/2003
Time: 8:36:05 AM
Computer: TFANTEXPN
Description:
Automatic certificate enrollment for local system failed to contact the active directory (0x8007054b). The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted.
Enrollment will not be performed.

Event Source: Userenv
Event ID: 1054
Date: 7/21/2003
Time: 11:11:17 AM
User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Computer: TFANTEXPN
Description:
Windows cannot obtain the domain controller name for your computer network. (The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted. ). Group Policy processing aborted.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
These four errors occur frequently, especially the last two.

Per the microsoft knowledge base I have hard coded the DNS (our ISP DNS) on the XP machine. I have also taken other steps such as turning on NetBIOS over tcp/ip and unchecking "register this address in DNS" and the issue continues on. I have reformatted the XP Machine, reinstalled our normal software which include acrobat reader, MS office, and all microsoft windows updates, and the issue continues on. ONLY with the XP machines!! =O

as i said before, any and all help would be greatly appreciated. thanks!

MORE INFO:

Heres some more background info... i didnt have a lot of time to type yesterday....

We have one server that is our DNS, DC, Webserver (for and internal file server. Our server has 2 nic's. this is why I suspect I am having this problem. To protect our internal file server etc the NIC that is 192.168.1.20 can't be access'd from the outside (obviously). and the other nic host's all outside traffic out to the world. Now I know ideally we should not have our internal file server and our DNS, and our webserver all be on one, but thats the circumstance we are in at the moment and I believe there should be some way to have my DNS point to the outside NIC so that by pointing the internal xp client machines to the 192.168.1.x IP when it requests anything from pulsestaff.net it pulls it from the IP of the other nic and not the internal one. Can anyone point me in the right direction or give me some pointers????

In the DNS configuration you need to configure your forwarders to point to your ISP's DNS server, when the server receives a request on the internal interface from a client machine that is not in its database it will use the external interface to consult your ISP.

!!A good cup of Tetley keeps the madness at bay!!

Teamaker,

If your talking about in the properties on the forwarding tab, it does forward to ISP DNS. although there are other records within the DNS i think need to be changed, and im a newbie to DNS, could someone give me a step by step?

ISSUE: USERenv 1054 with Intel 1000, WinXP, and Group Policy.

The problem is not with the NIC or DNS, but rather with the Microsoft XP OS. The Netlogon service is not robust enough to account for variances with some network cards and network environments.

Most switches will run the Spanning Tree Protocol(STP) to detect network loops and shut down any ports with a loop. The process of detecting loop causes the switch port to go through multiple states, Blocking, Listening, Learning and finally Forwarding.

The switch is not able to transfer any traffic untill the port reaches forwarding state. On most switches this takes about 30 seconds after starting STP initialization.

As the PC boots, some NICs perform a reset, which also forces the switch port to reset. If spanning tree is enabled it will take a minimum of 30 seconds before that port is capable of traffic.

If XP is not able to transmit during that 30 seconds it will be logged as a failure and it will not retry. Windows 2000 is generally more robust in this respect.

PortFast is Cisco terminology and allows you to set specific ports so they go straight from the blocking state to the forwarding state. It should be enabled on all ports with clients attached to avoid timing problems.

The reason you do not see a problem with all NICs is because some never peforms a reset. This means the spanning tree cycle is never initiated.

Got the info from:

This worked on our Cisco switches and resolved the issue. Be carefull changing port states!

enabled portfast on the cisco switch ports concerned - all the problems went away.

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back