Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WinXP connects very slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavePL

IS-IT--Management
Sep 11, 2000
US
We used to be able to connect at 100 MBps with a Windows 98 machine. Now that we upgraded Windows XP, it won't go faster than than 10 mbps. Internet service is very slow too. We have a 10/100BT LAN and coaxial cable modems connecting various buildings to the iNet. Could this be due to an advanced setting on the network card?

I have noticed similar issues. We have an office with a DirecPC Internet connection. When the network was all Windows 98, connections were at least 300 mbps. When I upgraded the connection server to Windows XP (with better hardware), the connections on the clients went down to about 100 mbps.

Can you say Qlality of service. Supposedly XP will have less errors in transfering packets, unlike 98 hence Microsoft says it may seem slower but it tranfering fewer packets and a higher success rate.. BS?

Look for tweak...though they dont help much.. I have a gigabit connection to my linux server and it isnt much faster than 10/100 on my xp machine..while it halls on my 2000 machine..

Hola,

Make sure NIC settings says "Auto" for Speed and Negotiation. for some NIC, forcing "FULL DUPlEX" and "100Mbps" can cause more problem than help. also, be sure to obtain latest XP driver for your NIC.

Hope this helps!

AP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back