Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WinXp can't access samba on linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

michalw

Technical User
Dec 29, 2003
PL
For two days I've been trying to get my WinXp box to access Samba shares on Linux, tried every solution, checked and rechecked smb.conf, user accounts, firewall rules etc.
Funny thing is that everything looked ok, a third box with win98 was seeing and accessing both linux and winxp, and winxp could access win98, just not linux.
Finally I've found the problem. On linux box long time ago I had installed a small utility called portsentry and it was blocking, among many other unsecure ports, port 445. After removing the block I can now access linux shares from winxp. So my tip: check if you have anything blocking ports, not just iptables or ipchains.

Michalw iam not able to access redhat 8 samba from xp/2k it says not accessible, network path not found, config is okay and i hv removed ipchain dunno where still prob is how do i chk anything is blocking??/

Starting with Windows 2000, direct hosting of SMB over port 445 is supported. Blocking 445 on XP whould have the same effect as blocking 137 and 139 on windows 98.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back