Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WinXP cannot obtain a DHCP Address

Status
Not open for further replies.

magnetmart

Technical User
Jan 5, 2004
AU
I have a windows XP machine that cannot get an Ip address from the DHCP server, but given a static address it works fine. I urgently need the user to be able to use the DHCP since she will connect to other networks and not neccessarily this one alone. All the ohter computer are working fine around 100, but only this one has refused. Initially the user ahd given a wrong MAC address, but I corrected but still has the error.

Please help.

Thanks

magnetmart

It's a brand new laptop, just setting it up and installing all the windows updates. But still has the same problem. Any further help will be appreciated.

Thanks Smah

What happens when doing a ipconfig /release then ipconfig /renew from a command prompt (when the machine is set for DHCP of course)?

You might find some interesting reading in thread779-787715

I had an interesting one today, and might be something to look at. Had a student with a brand new Dell laptop that couldn't get an ip. It seemed to be seeing the network, because it showed the network speed as 100mps. A check of the dhcp client service showed the norton anti virus was a dependent service. So I let the NAV setup run, and then it worked.

The other thing I check in this situation is enabling netbios over tcp/ip (net connection/properties/advanced)

I know about the problems uninstalling NAV, which is what drew me to it. And why I recognized the name of the service. It's interesting, because really NAV isn't actually installed yet.

What's your DHCP setup? and what's your machine's network adapter setup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back