Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WinXp automatically locking the screen after some idle time

Status
Not open for further replies.

NormRumac

Programmer
Sep 4, 2003
CA
Hi. when my windows xp machine sits idle for 10 minutes or so, it goes back to the logon screen. To get back to my session, I just need to relogin again.

But I find this strange because I have disabled the screen saver from Desktop-->Properties.

How do i prevent the machine from automatically locking the screen. Its really annoying.

--Norm

Check the user accounts in Control Panel.Not in admin tools, butr in control panel. It's in there.
(Not at an XP machine at the moment).

Josh

MCSE, CCNA, MCT, MCP

Does the PC go into standby? If it does there is a prompt for password for that as well.

Right click the desktop and click properties.
Click on Screen Saver then Power then Advanced
You will see the box for the password prompt for standby under options

Hope it helps

itswork, I think you are correct. I tried what you said, and (so far...) I dont seem to be getting the problem now. I'll wait and see.

Thanks,
--Norm

Oops! I spoke to soon...

It seems that your suggestion itswork, does not work for me.

jthiessen, I was unclear about your solution. When I go to user accounts, I do not see any way of changing the screen saver properties. Maybe I'm confused. Could you elaborate on what your solution is?

--Norm

Control Panel/ Display/ ScreenSaver/ Power/ Advanced. Check for any password prompt.

Also make sure your settings under Power Schemes are what you want.

Check Group Policy (GpEdit.msc in Run Box).

Local Computer Policy/ User Configuration/ Administrative Templates/ Control Panel/
Click on Display and see if any of the Screensaver options will fix your problem.

Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - Q314999
HOW TO: Force Users to Quit Programs and Log Off After a Period of Inactivity in Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back