Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

winword.exe has error and closes word

Status
Not open for further replies.

purplesky

Programmer
Nov 18, 2002
US
I just installed a fresh copy of office 2000 in my freshly install win2k. so far the only program that gives me problem is word. I start it and it starts with a blank page. But as soon as I start moving the mouse around an error message pop up and doesn't stay long and with it the word program close down. The error says "winword has generated error and will be closed by windows. You will need to restart the program. An error log is being created."

I repaired the installation and the problem remains. I removed everything and reinstalled again and problem stays. I have looked the error log and the following may be important.

this is the first time:

Application exception occurred:
App: (pid=924)
When: 11/20/2002 @ 00:46:13.877
Exception number: c0000005 (access violation)

This is the second time:

Application exception occurred:
App: (pid=672)
When: 11/20/2002 @ 00:49:15.499
Exception number: c0000005 (access violation)

Please help if you have seen this.

Thanks,
purplesky.

HI,

Update service pack on your pc Service pack 2 or 3.
Then see is the error is coming or not.

HTH Aslam

I know this may seem like a silly suggestion but try starting the PC in VGA Mode and try running word.

I had a similiar problem once and it was related to the display driver. The driver installed by 2000 didn't like my graphics card. I had to get the latest one from the Vendors website.

I found this out by using a standard VGA driver/mode. The screen will proberly look funny but if word doesn't crash then that could be your answer.

Zulu

You need to remove Office from the registry too.

Thanks for the suggestion. I think I need to visit my video driver. updating service pack is a good idea. But, crisc, what is the file "normal.dot" is it ".dot"?. what does it really do.

One more interesting thing. If I open word and just leave it on the desktop and open excel and work in excel, there would not be any problem. but as soon as I make the word window active problem comes back. So far word is the only one with the problem.

My vedio card, BTW, is voodoo 5500.

Thanks,

purplesky

The file "normal.dot" is the word document template, which contains a variety of settings word uses when it opens a blank document. Sometimes this file gets corrupted and causes word to crash.
If word can't find a file called "normal.dot" when it is launched, it will dynamically create a new, presumably uncorrupted one...

I agree he should be running the latest service packs, I just have never seen SPs resolve problems specific to Office.
Since Office was "freshly installed" I thought it was unlikely he would lose any special settings in the template, besides it takes about 20 seconds to try and he can rename it back if it's still locking.

last night I upgrade to Sevice Pack 3. removed and reinstalled Office 2000 again and to my dismay the problem remained. BTW, I also looked at the problem of video card as well and nothing change.

something new I found and its about how the mouse interacts with word. I don't see any problems until I move the mouse over the open folder of standard toolbar. Just as soon the mouse pointer is on that open folder the error message pops up and word closes, thereafter. After eliminating the standard toolbar, I detected no more errors. I used the mouse and clicked on file, open and did the rest without any errors.

I haven't done anything with "normal.dot" yet and I will look into it tonight.

Please let me know if the mouse and standard toolbar points to something that can be fixed.

Thanks,

purplesky

In addition I went to microsoft support and download site and downloaded the SP3 for office 2000. I also deleted normal.dot. I started word2000 and move the mouse over the standard tootbar and managed to generate the same error. Any ideas?

purplesky

Do you have Norton Anti-virus installed as I have had this problem and it was caused by the Office Add-in within the Options of Norton under the miscellaneous tab, when I deselected it the proble no longer existed.

No. This is a new insallation. and I don't have Norton Anti-virus installed. In fact the only thing installed, so far, is office 2000 product.

purplesky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back