Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WinVNC ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 1, 2002
BE
Hello,

I have this weird problem on my Windows 2000 Server...

It looks like someone has remotely installed WINVNC Server on my PC (malicious). When log into Windows 2000, a screen is shown with WinVNC User Properties as a title... I have searched my PC for an installed WinVNC application but cannot find it. When the screen is displayed, nothing referring to WinVNC is is the Processes...also nothing is in the Startup folder... I can find WinVNC relating settings in the registry but no installation path...

Who knows how I can find and deinstall the WINVNC server on my machine. Did anyone else have this problem ?

Thanks,

Chris.

Is this server behind a firewall? If so then whoever hacked you probably is doing more than just installing WINVNC! I'd lock down your firewall until you can figure out what the hell is going on!

WinVNC can run as a service have you checked your services? Also have you checked Add/Remove programs?

Definitly check the services.

It should run under this:

"C:\Program Files\ORL\VNC\WinVNC.exe" -service

Hope you can find it!

Guys,

Thanks for the respons. I have double/triple checked the Program Files folder: nothing there that points to WinVNC or ORL ! I checked services.. no Winvnc services running ! Only a registry entry with parameters from ORL/Winvnc... that it !! My machine must have been not behind a firewall at the moment of the hack, but that doesn't matter now... the harm has been done... I only want to get rid of Winvnc..

Tried Software Add/Remove... nothing on Winvnc !!!

Chris.

I tried to install and uninstall WINVNC but no luck ! The screen WinnVNC User Properties keeps popping up.

Chris.

Open a DOS box and type net start
If there is a service VNC server type net stop "VNC server"
Try to type a password in the User Properties Password field and klick Apply.
If VNC has been installed and run as a service the first time it start you must enter a password.

SteelBurner

You also might try logging onto that server with a VNC client. I don't know if all of the various versions of VNC are compatible, but you could try. Load the client on another work station then try to access the IP of your server. Does a sign in window come up?

You indicated the User screen keeps popping up. A prior post mentioned it, but you have to assign a password the first time it boots once you have installed WINVNC as a service ( all of our machines have it here to allow me to log people off from home. PCAW would be better, but that costs $ ) If you don't assign a password then that screen will pop up again.

Paul

cvankrieken:

Actually I always follow this thread until somebody can solve it because I got the same problem too. He's one of my user but he left the company. I have no plan to format the HDD that's why I'm waiting . . . I never join the dsicussion since all my testing/troubleshooting fails :)

How did you resolved it ? Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back