Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WinSPM via MFM port?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlshelton

Technical User
Apr 16, 2003
US
To avoid running more wire, I installed an MFM inside an MLX phone in my office. I tried connecting my laptop modem to the MFM and running WinSPM.

I have successfully used WinSPM from this laptop both by direct serial connection to the Admin port, and by modem through an 012 line. I have my MFM station set to give me an intercom line, and confirmed that *10 reaches the Admin modem.

Trying to run WinSPM this way, I get the following error: "You have been disconnected from the communication system"
I can hear the modem dial and connect.

Is this a valid configuration?

Should work, but doesn't. Documentation says you can connect to an 012 or 016 board, and doesn't mention connecting via MLX. I've tried WinSPM configured for Internal or External with no success. Modem settings are as you suggest.

Really need to see if anyone has made it work rather than theorizing. Also, not a big deal; I can find wire pairs if needed to do "the right thing".

I have had the same problem. Instead of dialing *10 and using the internal modem, dial your main number and manually transfer to the modem. I have had to do this at a couple of sites, and I connect manually with no problem. Not sure why I can't get directly in, but I have not had time to really look into it.

It's possible that you have not set the jumpers on the Multi-Function Module to the correct settings. Check the Avaya Web site for the proper settings.

My workaround was to have WinSPM dial another extension from the MFM module; that extension then transfers the call to *10. Strange that there is this limitation on WinSPM calls originating from an MFM, but not a big deal.

the only thing you cn not do with an MFM is transfer calls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back