Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

winsockfix has corrupted mcafee firewall

Status
Not open for further replies.

14thBaloo

Technical User
Jun 9, 2003
GB
I've used the winsockfix to fix corruptions in tcp/ip on my windows xp system but now my mcafee firewall will not work. I have un-installed the firewall and re-installed it. This allows the firewall to startup but tcp/ip is corrupt again. I have to use winsockfix again to get my internet connectivity working but without the firewall. Does anyone have any ideas?

From the McAfee website:

"Personal Firewall may be confused with the status of your network. This can happen when you have another firewall installed, too many modems installed and enabled, or your Network Properties are configured improperly. Contact your Internet Service Provider (ISP) and have them remove all of your Dial-up Networking, Dial-up and TCP/IP Adapters and rebuild your Internet connection."

The WinsockFix utility will only do the very last step for you. Check to see that there are no other firewalls, including the native XP ICF. Check to make sure that there are not a lot of un-needed adapters using Device Manager, View, Show all hidden devices, Network Adapters. The mini-port style adapters you can leave alone.

14thBaloo

i am not 100% sure on the McAfee firewall parameters, but this is a trick that worked with the older Zone Alarm corruption problems.
When someone had a firewall installed, and either got tired of it, or was a demo and expired. They would remove it from the computer, later when even the smallest change in network occured (in my case, a new ISP) nothing would work, but looking around in registry usually brings up the tell tale signs of a zone alarm install. The only way so far to fix this was to
1.)reinstall the firewall (no connection needed)
2.)Remove any - all of the old rule sets
3.)set any connection to "Allow All" or "Disabled" or similar parameters

reboot and try that.

McAfee's "web style" firewall, currently packaged with brand name computers, with that bunch of Zero Knowledge, is a difficult, and mostly un-user friendly, with lack of options to adjust it to the user. Although it does work once it is tailored to suit the system it was installed on.
If you have the other McAfee firewall, (store bought version)thats another story all together. As well i have a version of that here and could probably figure something out for you.
In any case, the Winsockfix, replaces Winsock keys in the registry, among other things. I don't think the Firewall installs as a LSP. If you want to test this out,
export these 2 registry keys to the desktop
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\WinSock2
and
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\WinSock
Then install the firewall again, export the same keys out and compare them?
As well, if you install the Firewall, and can have it in a disabled mode, and your connection works..then Winsock is not to blame. It is a very difficult firewall to work with, let me know which one and version you have and i will see if I can duplicate your problem here :)

Mcafee and its firewall are so user abuser that I have switched to Norton and Zone Alarm.

There are some peculiar system amnomilies with Matrox video cards that might be at fault (they don't like Mcafee).

try cleaning Mcafee out of you registry with Lava Softs Reg Hance and see if that helps.

It looks to me like the winsock program disables Mcafee. try installing Mcafee with the restore feature turned off and the firewall disabled. Then go to Kazaa and dl zone alarm.

CableInstaller,

I'am installing MFW V4.0. I shut every thing down before doing the install. When the install asks to check for updates, I say not and complete the install by re-booting the machine. The machine re-boot ok and up pops instant updater, to tell me an update to MFW is available. So at this point every think is ok and TCP/IP is working. I then download the latest version of MFW v4.02.6000.0 which installs and I configure the firewall. The system is re-booted and MFW is working but TCP/IP is dead and I can't get a DHCP IP address from my router, I have to re-use the winsockfix to get working again but the use of the fix corrupts MFW which won't start. I would be very grateful for any help.

14thBaloo

How old is that version?

The best I got here is mcAfee desktop firewall 7.51

I know there is a bunch of different versions and completely different applications of McAfee...

In your case, I really can't see the firewall writing to those Winsock keys, but who knows...
2 things I suggest,

Get the system where you can install the firewall, before the update. and running ok.
Is there any option in the firewall to disable it?, if so disable the firewall, or better yet, shut it down, and then do the upgrade when it is not running.
If you cant get an IP address from the router, open the network connections panel, click on the adapter you are using and select "disable"...
Then reboot computer, go back to the network connections panel again and select "enable" This is a long shot...
I will try to find this version of Firewall you have so I can see what it's changing to TCP, gimme a wee bit to research this.

CableInstaller,

The original version of MFW I have was packaged with VIRUSSCAN V7 which I downloaded from the Mcafee web site the date on the downloaded package is August 2002. I think the version of MFW I have is personal firewall.

I hav'nt had a chance to try what you have suggested yet but I'll have an other go at the weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back