Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

winsock 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

JPBURBE

Programmer
Jun 12, 2001
CA
Can anyone explain to me how to retrieve data from an ip address? Oracle sends it to an ip address....vb using winsock picks it up and imports it into vb? Is this possible? Can anyone help?

Are you basically trying to retrieve data from an Oracle database with a VB program?

Joanne

yes......the users don't want me to connect to the database and retrieve the information the easy way.....i tried discussing this with them......it's a security issue.......they want to send the info from oracle to a specified ip address, then have vb pick up the info from this ip address.....after that i know what to do it's just to get the info from the ip to vb i have no idea about

well are they sending it in text file format or a database format?

I dont know if this is more what you are looking for but this Thread talks of "Winsocking on the fly" thread222-109001

see if that helps :)

Joanne

PS. All it did was confuse me but with need comes understanding and right now my need is low *grin*

Hello!

I've been batting my head against the wall for 2 months with a similar problem but have finally solved it.

If you send me your email address, I'll send you a bare socket client/server program in VB6. It's "bare" because I removed all the processing of exchanged files in the real version and just return a test file sent from the server. There's also a README.TXT file included which reveals some of the MADDENING things about Winsock for those of us without a PHD in socket programming.

Unlike "demo" programs that are driving you crazy, this doesn't type "Hello!" back and forth to each screen! This program (stripped of its actual file processing) is an actual program used in e-commerce today.

Best regards,
Dave

thanks dave, my email address is JPBURBE@hotmail.com

Dave, Could you please send the program to me too because I have the winsock problem too. My email address is ii128@visioni.com

Dave,

Sorry, my email address should be ii128@hotmail.com

Dave, I did not see your email address posted but I would REALLY appreciate your component. Please email me at yobigd@yobigd.com.

Thanks in advance,

Derek

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back