Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Winsock problem...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phailak

Programmer
Apr 10, 2001
CA
Hail,

I don't think my problem is really related to my code or Winsock in reality. I'm testing this game I made with a friend over the network. At work it works fine, and it works when I connect to him. But when he (i tried other cpus too) tries to connect to me (or to ping for that matter) it does not connect. Could it be in my cpu's connection? I don't have a firewall...
Anybody have any ideas?

Phailak

The problem is your connection... Most likely, from the sounds of your problem, you are sharing an internet connection through a network? Or if not, are on DSL, probably with the IP 192.168.xxx.xxx?

Anyway, what is happening is, say youre on DSL (most likely you are from the sounds of it). Your router has an IP of, lets say 123.123.123.1, and all you are allotted the IPs 192.168.xxx.2 to 192.168.xxx.254. All the 192.168.xxx.xxx IP addresses are LAN Only, no internet visible machine can use these IP addresses, they are strictly for network IPs only.

Say you have the DSL router (123.123.123.1) then you have 2 computers under it (192.168.xxx.2 and 192.168.xxx.3). Your DSL really has only one IP address, which is the one of the router. That is the only internet visible address (in otherwords.... there can be no connections to your computer)

There is a way to make this possible, which is by routing a port on the router.. say 123.123.123.1:123, to your computer at 192.168.xxx.2, for that youll need to look through software for your router

If you're sharing a 56k connection through a network, its the same thing.. the only visible IP is the one with the modem.

Anyway, hope this helps =)

another thing I forgot to mention.... what I explained above also would explain him not being able to ping you

Hail,

Thanx for the reply.
I need to get around this, because I know a lot of people who are DSL or modem (BTW you were right, I am DSL).
I don't have any idea how to root, so I need help on that. Presently, I just let winsock listen until a connection is made, how should I do it now??? Will the same procedure be used for modem connections and how will I know if cpu listening (when it's another person than me running) is DSL or cable for instance?
Sorry for the bombardement but I'd like to fix this...

Phailak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back