Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Winsock or MAPI? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

gieboy

Programmer
Feb 15, 2001
PH
what can i use to make a vb application that send e-mail with an attachment to a lotus notes server?

Lotus used to offer a sdk for a messaging api called VIM, which stood for "Vendor Independent Messaging" and was to compete with MAPI. Didn't really take off, but you should be able to find out more at their site. They may also offer an ActiveX component that could make things easier -- I haven't kept up with them, so I'm not 100% sure.

Chip H.

VB comes with a dll called CDONTS which enables you to send emails. I guess you only need the destination address when you send mail. It depends on the recepient server on how it traps it. Though I am not familar with the Lotus server side, I cannot say what you need to do there, but I am preety sure you can do what you want with CDO-NTS

Antzz --

CDO-NTS only does MAPI (Microsoft Messaging API), which I doubt a Notes server understands. But maybe gieboy is willing to give it a try.

Chip H.

Yeah Chip, I guess if he gives us the feedback on what happened, maybe we can learn from it.

Sorry guys, I havent tried your ideas. My younger brother accidentally click something here. But I already used WINSOCK. i am already done with the code, i tried it already but when i check from Lotus notes, I dont receive any email. Can you please help me on this? Here is the message that ive got. The last part said it was Queued mail for delivery but i dont receive anything upto now. I really need your advice guys. Thank you so much.

CONNECTING
> HELO 130.130.9.199
220-notesdev.ucpb Microsoft SMTP MAIL ready at Tue, 20 Feb 2001 17:47:47 +0800 Version: 5.5.1877.197.19
220 ESMTP spoken here
250 notesdev.ucpb Hello [130.130.9.199]

> MAIL FROM: "TFS-SPO/CDSD/ITD/UCPB/PH@DEV"
250 "TFS-SPO/CDSD/ITD/UCPB/PH@DEV"@notesdev.ucpb....Sender OK

> RCPT TO: "RTGS Project/DEV/PH@DEV"
250 "RTGS Project/DEV/PH@DEV"@notesdev.ucpb

> DATA
354 Start mail input; end with <CRLF>.<CRLF>

> SUBJECT: test
> for testing only
>

250 0004c4847091421NOTESDEV Queued mail for delivery

CLOSING CONNECTION

I'm not an expert on SMTP, but what you've got looks pretty good. When the connection is closed, are you doing that, or is it being initiated from the mailserver?
I'm thinking there might be another command to actually kick-off the transmission.

Chip H.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back