Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

winset.exe Error Message

Status
Not open for further replies.

justjo

Technical User
Apr 12, 2002
US
We just upgraded my computer to Windows 2000 Professional (from Windows95). The computer is connected to a network using Novell Client. Since the upgrade, I get the following error message when I log on:
"winset.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows. You will need to restart the program.
An error log is being created."

I have no problems (so far) using any of my applications (local and network).

What is winset.exe? Am I asking for trouble by ignoring the message?

P.S. I'm just a mere end-user, so any advice you can offer this simpleton would be greatly appreciated.

You have a left-over from Win95 in your Logon script most likely.

Check your logon script - to see what/where it is click Start, Programs, Administrator Tools, Computer Management.

Expand the Local Users and Groups and click on the Users folder. Right click on your ID you are using to login as, and select Properties. Click on the Profile tab to find your login script. Chances are you may not need it anymore, but it will depend on what has been carried over from Win95. JSV

Thanks for the suggestion. I checked it out, and the login script box is empty. This does have me wondering if there is something that needs to be changed in the config.sys file. Could that be a possibility?

It's possible, but more likely something that was in AUTOEXEC.BAT -or- your STARTUP folder -or- WIN.INI.

Do a Search on your Win2K drive for any AUTOEXEC.* or CONFIG.* You will probably find AUTOEXEC.BAT and/or AUTOEXEC.NT. Look through those for WINSET.

Do the same for CONFIG.* - you will may find CONFIG.SYS and CONFIG.NT files.

Also take a look in the Startup folder. If there are things in there, remove them (drag to your desktop) one by one, rebooting in between each one. If the error stops, the last one you moved out is the problem. (Don't forget to put all the others back when done!)

Another possibilty is something that was getting loaded from WIN.INI under Win95. I am not entirely sure where Win2K will migrate that stuff to, but my next best guess of somewhere to look is the Run and Runonce areas in your registry. Tackle that one last if the first two don't uncover it. JSV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back