Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WinServer 2003 keeps rebooting at startup 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sheenpaul

Technical User
Jul 27, 2012
GB
Hello

I cannot get Windows Server 2003 to stop rebooting at start up and so cannot access any files on the system. Please could someone help with suggestions on how to resolve this problem on my DELL PE2600 server which arose after a failed attempt to increase size of system volume (on C: drive) with unused space on D: drive using Acronis Disk Director Server 11? DELL Server has two RAID 5 hardware arrays (i.e.logical disks 0 [containing C&D drives] and logical disk 1 [unused]) but only first array contains programs & data. Second array has been initialised using PERC controller but not formatted as NTFS.

Each time server reboots a blue screen flashes past in a microsecond showing 3 lines of info presumably containing a useful error message. I would like to freeze this message. I have tried pressing PAUSE button without success. I have tried to stop auto-reboot but on hitting F8 at Windows start up and entering screen to choose Safe Mode etc. but there is NO OPTION to disable automatic reboot. I have been advised to contact Microsft but that is a bit like saying speak to GOD about it.

Thank you for reading.

This is not good - things are likely pretty gummed up with a repartitioning failure.

Can you disconnect the 2nd RAID5 array just to simplify things? If nothing is on it, it's just in the way.

Can you boot to something like Easus partition manager and see what the partitions look like. Take a picture or screen shot and post it.

Was there an error message from Acronis when it crapped out?

Do you have an Acronis image backup of the system BEFORE?

Do you have a good data backup BEFORE?

You could boot with a BARTPE cd and edit the registry remotely to set the "no auto reboot" option. You would need to load the PERC drivers via F6 at BartPE startup.

Using Registry Editor:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\CrashControl

DWORD = AutoReboot
0 = Auto Restart Disabled
1 = Auto Restart Enabled

Another good reason to do above is to see if you can SEE your files while booted to the BartPE CD. If you CAN, then a format/reload after copying your data off to another location might be an efficient way to get you going again.

In fact, that (copying data while booted to BartPE) would probably be a good idea as a first step. Then you could fool around with master boot records etc. without worrying too much.

Regardless of what happens this time (not trying to be smart here):
1. Never attempt a repartitioning without have a valid whole system backup (data) and an image of the whole system (all partitions). Home systems MAYBE, but never a work system.
2. Would have been best to image the C: and D: (1st array) over to the 2nd Array and then you would haven't have put the first array at risk. If it had failed to image over, you could start up just like nothing happened. If it had succeeded, you could have nuked the data on C: and D: and used it however you were going to use the 2nd array.

sheenpaul said:
...a blue screen flashes past in a microsecond showing 3 lines of info presumably containing a useful error message.

A digital camera, a fast shutter speed, and an even faster trigger finger might be able to capture the message. Set your focus before the boot sequence gets to the error message.

Hope this helps.

Please help us help you. Read Tek-Tips posting polices before posting.
Canadian members check out Tek-Tips in Canada for socializing, networking, and anything non-technical.

Never mind my comment about using Easus since it won't boot. That was a brain freeze.

Goombawaho, thank you for your helpful comments. I accept all that you say. Fortunately, I do have a back up of the data files on the server but no back up (or image) of the complete installation. I have tried to create an ultimate boot CD as you suggested but the ISO image fails because of 2 errors at the end of the creation process which I do not know how to address. I have used a Linux bootable CD obtained from Dell which enables me to see that files and folders appear to be present in the correct places but I cannot open and edit anything with the Linux CD although I can copy files to an external USB drive. Is there some way that I could fix the 2 errors and create the ultimate Winboot CD in order to make the Registry entry to turn off automatic rebooting that you recommend? Else, is there any other way to try and repair the corrupted Windows files to avoid a complete re-install which would involve all sorts of networking issues? A colleague suggested trying "sfc /scannow" command in Recovery Console via an original Microsoft installation CD.

Cmeagan656, thank you for your comment. I shall take a digital camera with me tomorrow and give it a try - although I am not known for my speedy reactions!

I didn't suggest the Ultimate Boot CD, though a good tool. I suggested BartPE, which should burn properly given a good optical drive, CD and burner program. For that matter, so should the UBCD.

Else, is there any other way to try and repair the corrupted Windows files to avoid a complete re-install which would involve all sorts of networking issues? A colleague suggested trying "sfc /scannow" command in Recovery Console via an original Microsoft installation CD.
You can try anything you want, but aren't you on the hot seat to get this going again....soon??

How do you know it's corrupted windows files vs. master boot record? Try the SFC and then try the MBR repair from recovery console. Then it's time to think about reload.

Thank you for all suggestions. Have used free download of Linux tool "PC Regedit" to edit Registry and disable Automatic Rebooting. Can now read error message on blue screen and have passed it on to Acronis support. Am awaiting reply.

I'm glad things are proceeding, but aren't people screaming to have this server up like LAST WEEK? Or is it not in corporate environment?

MS says not to resize C:...

Do you have original working parameters?

Try to get to F8> turn off fast reboot, see if can capture a bsod on next boot
Also can then try LKG, Safe, cmdPrompt boots

For data check can try omsa live, 6.01 is Ubuntu , only one w/pdf of screenshots for help file (rest tend to be CentOs w/flat text file help file).

Is this an LSI perc 4ish or adaptec perc 3di-ish controller?

TreeSpyder - you're way late to the party with your post and people re-size partitions all the time, but they take an image backup first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back