Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WINS/Workgroup Browsing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2002
US
Why when I attempt to view the workgroup does it take like 2 minutes to show up? I have a WINS server setup to which all the client computer are directed. There is only about 10 computers on the network. Any suggestions...am I forgetting something???? WINS server is in correctly configured??

brian

Have you checked your event logs? Is this new, or has it always been like this? Is this from all pc's? Do you have a hosts or lmhosts file? Glen A. Johnson
Johnson Computer Consulting
MCP W2K
glen@nellsgiftbox.com
[americanflag]

"What really happens is trivial in comparison to what could occur."
Robert von Musil (1880-1942); Austrian author.

the latency is not from all the computers....mine of course. The windows xp and 98 are quick. Where should the hosts/lmhosts file be located?

In the 98 machines, at the root of windows. XP I'm not sure of. I won't touch xp machines personally. W2K is my choice, and the files should be at the winnt/system32/drivers/etc folder. XP may use the same location. Glen A. Johnson
MCP W2K
glen@nellsgiftbox.com
[americanflag]

yeah - the hosts file and the lmhosts file is located in the right folder. Funny, the laptop that i am typing this on can view the workgroup quickly, whereas the desktop cannot. I took the liberty of copy the ETC folder from my laptop to my desktop. That didnt change anything. Also one other weird thing is that the lmhosts file is associating itself with applications, in this case it thinks it is a lotus wordpro doc. any thoughts?

brian

That could be part of your problem. Remove all associations and when you open it, use notepad. Glen A. Johnson
MCP W2K
glen@nellsgiftbox.com
[americanflag]

2 minute delay would indicate that the workstation is having to build the browse list by broadcast. If you have WINS running on the server, check active registrations by right-clicking in the WINS console - find by owner - all ownwers - find now. IF the wrkstations are registering with WINS they should have entries here. Jim - Synnex Info Tech

That is the weird thing, the workstation that responses slowly is in the active registration list on the WINS server. Actually, each workstation is registered as it should, but multiple times...as a workstation, messenger, and file server. My laptop can browse the workgroup quickly, but not my desktop...they are both windows 2k. Anything else I should look for?

brian

What the hey? Take one machine that is slow and remove it from the wins database and see what happens. Glen A. Johnson
MCP W2K
glen@nellsgiftbox.com
[americanflag]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back