Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

wins server info not getting from dhcp server to some clients

Status
Not open for further replies.

pepper

MIS
Oct 23, 2000
US
Recently I discovered that some of the clients in our network were getting all the right info from the dhcp server (gateway, dns server, domain name) but had either NO information or incorrect information about which wins servers to use. For example, I have 2 pcs, one a w2k box and one win95. Both are pulling addresses from the same scope and both are set to use dhcp for wins resolution and yet the w2k box has the correct wins servers set when I do an ipconfig but the w95 box has the primary set to a server that isn't listed in the scope on the dhcp server at all. This isn't just a win95 issue because I have found other 95 boxes that are set the same as mine and have the same image yet are getting the correct wins server info. The dhcp server is a w2k box and I even tried setting up a test scope on an nt box and having my 95 machine pull from that but I still ended up with exactly the same settings.

Anyone else ever run into anything like this?

I ran into a similar issue a few years ago. I don't really remember all the details except that on sporadic machines the dhcp settings wouldn't refresh properly. We used a freeware utility in the logon script that would remove all the locked settings and force a refresh. The utility worked well for us. Leave an e-mail address and I will send you a copy of the utility. Maybe it will help your situation.

My email is eric.eipper@cnh.com
Thanks for your help.

I would also appreciate that utility if you don't mind, my email is vreiner@keyisit.com thx!

I would appreciate a copy of that freeware utility also. My email address is mgraves@bayham.on.ca

If possible please email this utility to me also, thank you.
W1miller2000@yahoo.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back