Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WINS Resolution 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Romka

Programmer
Jun 14, 2003
AU
Hi,

My server consists of two network cards and a modem is connected to one of those, the other to the LAN.

Problem - where-ever the server is being identified - ie. name resolution, it resolves to the ip of the modem (its internal ip).

For example in WINS configuration next to my servers name it has the IP of the modem, and I want it to have the IP of the NIC of the internal network.

How can this be done?

thank you.

This is a TCP/IP Binding Order problem.

To solve the problem do this:

1) Open NETWORK CONNECTIONS (on the problematic serveR)

2) Click ADVANCED drop down box (on the file, edit, view, etc menu at the very top of the dialog window)

3) On the Advanced Settings dialog box, there is a "Adapters and Bindings" tab. Look at the Connections window... re-order the NICs so that the normal LAN nic is listed FIRST.

This should solve your problem...

-later

Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2003

If your company is in need of experts to examine technical problems/solutions, please check out (Sales@njcomputernetworks.com)

Hmm - that did solve the problem, and whenever I pinged the server from any computer on the network - it resolved the right IP.

although I restarted the server, and although under WINS it reports the server being one ip address, when pinging it from outside the server (LAN) - it reports the IP of the modem interface again :(

this is really annoying as when going to websites hosted on the server, i have to explicitly enter the ip - as the dns/wins resolutions dont work for some reason.

Anyone?

although I restarted the server, and although under WINS it reports the server being one ip address, when pinging it from outside the server (LAN) - it reports the IP of the modem interface again"

Now that WINS is fixed, you are still seeing a problem. This is because DNS is registering both IP addresses for the server.

You can use NSLOOKUP to query DNS. NSLOOKUP can be run from the command prompt. Type in the server name and you will get the IP addresses back that are registered in the DNS database. I would expect that two IP would be returned.

To fix the problem, go into your TCP/IP properties for the NIC that you DO NOT want to register in DNS. In the TCP/IP properties there is a DNS tab. Under the DNS tab, UNCHECK "Register this connections address in DNS".

Reboot the machine. You may also want to go into your DNS database and delete the invalid entry.

-later

Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2003

If your company is in need of experts to examine technical problems/solutions, please check out (Sales@njcomputernetworks.com)

Jpoandl

I followed your instructions, but even after rebooting - it still ad's that interfaces IP into the dns... :(

You might want to delete the entries in DNS for this server. Then shut down the server.

Next, use NSLOOKUP from another machine to query DNS. This will confirm that the entry(s) have been removed from DNS.

Once this is confirmed, boot the problematic machine.

Then query DNS using NSLOOKUP to verify if both IP's are showing. (You should only see one)

(I am guessing that either the current DNS entry is STATIC or replication didn't have a chance to take place when you did your test.)

Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2003

I've done exactly - once again - yet after rebooting the server.

The name of the server with the other interfaces ip once again gets added to the dns list. Hence when a query is made from external machines - they all get the 2 ip's.

Any more ideas?

Try this...

In TCP/IP settings - DNS tab, uncheck the REGISTER in DNS check mark.

Reboot server

delete all A records for server in DNS

Add manually created A record that lists only the proper IP address.

Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2003

If your company is in need of experts to examine technical problems/solutions, please contact (Sales@njcomputernetworks.com)

I've done EXACTLY once again - step by step.

Although after deleting all the A records and just adding the needed once.

If again the server is restarted, the wrong IP's are once again added. :(

I've set the NIC NOT to publish its address in DNS - but obviuosly it still does it - or something else is :(.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back