Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WINS keeps swapping over IP addresses on a Multihomes machine???

Status
Not open for further replies.

date

Technical User
May 21, 2001
GB
Hello,

I am experiencing difficulties in spelling and my problem is as follows.

Server 1 (BDC+WINS) is Trusted and Trusting Server2 (PDC+WINS) ( Vica versa)
Server 1 is Trusted and Trusting Server3 (PDC +WINS) (Vica versa)

Server 1 MH 192.168.1.14(rip) + 192.168.2.14(rip) (255.255.255.0)Forwarding is enabled. Default gateway 192.168.2.1 (Router has all UDP helperson that R needed + rip)

Server 2 MH 192.168.3.12 + 192.168.4.12 (255.255.255.0)
Default gateway 192.168.4.1 (as above)

Sever 3 MH 192.168.5.12 + 192.168.6.12 (255.255.255.0)Deafult gateway 192.168.6.1 (as above)

All wins server are replication partners to the same as the trusts. I.e. Server 1 replicates to server 2 and server 3.
Server 2 replicates to server1 ONLY. And server 3 replicates to server1 ONLY.

I am sat a my desk 8.30am and ping server 3's name. It's X.X.5.12 comes back. From my server1 I do the same and it's X.X.6.12 address comes back. The address will die unexpectidly killing the connection.

Two hours later I do the same ping from my WKS. The X.X.6.12 now comes back?

All wins server as on the odd number from above and both cards in each server only have one wins address specified, this is of the odd number ...

Why or what could be causing this strange behaviour.

BEING MULTIHOMED?????? Dohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

P.S. Odd's = Token Ring / Even's= Ethernet

I know thats a pretty crap description but please respond and I'll send the relevant information.

Cheers for that, but I was hoping for a solution.
Any ideas on if I keep caching and relesing nbt names?

is there a way you can move the WINS from the multihomed server to another machine ? Peter Van Eeckhoutte
peter.ve@pandora.be

Not realy!
I am going to try the following and will let you know if it worked!
1. Unbind NetBEUI from the Ethernet on all machines and leave Net BEUI on the LAN segments.
2. Unbind WINS from the least busy NIC in this case the WAN cards again. This in turn will unbind the NetBIOS, Workstation and Server from this card. As long as the TCP/IP is left bound routing should be able to take place.

So roll on lunchtime.........

unbinding WINS (Netbios) on one of the PDC's will do the trick as well
(make sure you clean up your WINS entries as well) Peter Van Eeckhoutte
peter.ve@pandora.be

Cheers for all your help. It's now 2:50pm all is well in the troops!

1. Unbind NetBEUI from the Ethernet on all machines and leave Net BEUI on the LAN segments.
2. Unbind WINS from the least busy NIC in this case the WAN cards again. This in turn will unbind the NetBIOS, Workstation and Server from this card. As long as the TCP/IP is left bound routing should be able to take place.

Seemed to have sorted it, I did come across some errors with Exchange (MTA and DS failed to start.... Call field engeneer if a reboot don't sort it. And the reboot didn't.) But this was down to the binding order on the WAN ( Ethernet ) card! ( after flushing the MTAdata dir, DOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH)!

:) :) :) :)

Cheers again. I owe you a beer!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back