Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WINS In Relation To Netbui/NetBios

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skittle

ISP
Sep 10, 2002
US
I have inherited a network from a small company we have taken over. They use a different networking method to us
and I am a little confused about how it works.

Its Netbui/NetBios which to my understaning is not routable. Yet it uses WINS to convert machine names to IP addresses. To my mind WINS is not routing as such, it is just providing a translation table overlay.

So my question is, at which level does WINS sit in the OSI ( I presume Network/3 )?

Dazed and confused

WINS doesn't actually do any routing - it's merely a kind of database. So I would say that it's higher up than that.

DNS is layer 6 (Presentation) - or level 4 in the TCP/IP model - so I guess WINS would also be at that level.

Hi,

In DNS you convert fully qualified domain names (e.g. computer.department.company.com) to an IP - or vice versa.

WINS uses the same names as NetBIOS names and converts them to an IP address (thus as in the example it just links "computer" to an IP).

Since WINS uses IP address to convert names to it is routable.

Actually, you can think of WINS as a NetBIOS database with IP addresses linked.
NetBEUI is like TCP/IP and is not routable.

HTH,
Beboen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back