Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wins error message

Status
Not open for further replies.

ltcommanderData

IS-IT--Management
Nov 22, 2002
US
I recently setup a Windows 2000 server to handle DHCP, Wins and DNS resolution on our mixed environment network. The system event log on the server is constently showing an error event for Wins. Event id 4204 with a message of "WINS could not read from the User Datagram Protocol (UDP) socket. " I have tried searching technet, but couldn't find a reference for this particular event in conjucntion with the Windows 2000 OS. Can someone please help. Thanks

Try checking this link.

This is a good site to bookmark in your favorites. Good luck. Glen A. Johnson
Johnson Computer Consulting
MCP W2K
glen@johnsoncomputers.us

[americanflag]

"Don't ever take a fence down until you know the reason why it was put up."
Gilbert Keith Chesterton (1874-1936); English writer.

Unfortunately the setps recommended in the above post did not hlep. Anyone else have an idea?

Anyone find an answer to this???? I am having the same problem....

Did you check the above sites? You should repost this since the post is so old. Good luck.

Glen A. Johnson
If you're from the Illinois, Wisconsin or Florida area, check out Tek-Tips in Chicago IL
To get the best answers to your questions, check out faq950-5848

Hello,

Two things:

1. Check the file permissions for the %Systemroot%\System32\WINS folder.Make sure they are Everyone=Full Control

2. Every 40 minutes WINS (2000) sends out ICMP packets on a multicast address looking for replication partners. Sometimes Netware servers or other network devices respond to these multicasts. There is a fix for the Netware servers tha casue the error (sorry cant find it at the mo) but you can ignore the events also.

llevon

thanks all,

I have reset the permissions on the wins folder... so will let you know if the error occurs again.

THIS IS DRIVING ME CRAZY!!!!!

Anybody any ideas???? Forgot to add that I dont have any netware servers... real plain network, one server03 with exchange03, and then 5 clients.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back