Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WINS, do one must add entries? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noip

IS-IT--Management
Apr 25, 2002
MU
Hi all,

When you have finished to add the WINS Server components in ADD/remove programs, do u have to manually add the hosts names and their corresponding IP like in lmhosts?

If yes, where 2 go?

thanks

No, WINS has automatic registration for clients. What you need to do is point your clients to the WINS server using the clients local TCP/IP properties (enter the IP address of your new wins server under the WINS section.) If you are using DHCP to hand out IP addresses, you can enter a scope option to include the WINS servers IP address. This way your clients will automatically be set with the proper WINS server.

You can add static entries into WINS but this is not recommended.

-hope this helps..

Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2003

If your company is in need of experts to examine technical problems/solutions, please check out (Sales@njcomputernetworks.com)

Thanks Joseph,

Yes I've got a dhcp server, but how can I configure the server to tell the clients to use the WINS server.

Can i alternatively configure the dhcp clients indvidually to use the WINS server?

Thanks for all the help!

While configuring DHCP scope it you can enter the scope options like gateway, router, WINS server etc. You can modify the existing scope or delete that one and create a new scope for this.

"If you are using DHCP to hand out IP addresses, you can enter a scope option to include the WINS servers IP address. This way your clients will automatically be set with the proper WINS server."

While in the DCHP administrator, go to help and search for SCOPE. This will show you the step by step process for adding scopt options.

Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2003

If your company is in need of experts to examine technical problems/solutions, please check out (Sales@njcomputernetworks.com)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back