Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Winows Update Page

Status
Not open for further replies.

sekopp

Programmer
Aug 22, 2001
US
I have been trying for a week to dowload widows xp updates. I keep getting sent to the update errors page. I've executed all of the suggestions in the update page troubleshooter and still can't download any update. Microsoft is either unwilling or unable to help. Does anyone have any suggestions?

This thread has some good ideas:

My Version of the TunaBoy57 Problem
thread779-599621

Also, make sure the PATH statement in your Environmental Variables has as part of its entries: %windir%\system32\WBEM

At what point are you transfered to the Error Page?
Do you ever get as far as the "Scanning For Updates"?

Do you have the same problem if you go via these sites?

If you get to these sites try the Windows Update link under "See Also" in the left pane if you want to Scan for updates. See if crashes out on that link.

Have you installed any new software (or updated any existing software) just prior to this problem?

I HAVE KNOWN THIS PROBLEM TO HAPPEN TO PEOPLE WHO HAVE USED A "BORROWED COPY OF XP PRO , FROM KAZAA ECT" THIS IS THE ONLY TIME I HAVE SEEN THIS HAPPEN AND IT IS ONE OF MS`S SECURITY TRAPS , SORRY I CAN`T HELP FURTHER

I guess I wan't too clear about my problem. I can scan for updates (I find 4 for windows, 2 drivers, and critical update 811493 that I will not install). After I remove 811483 and select all of the other updates (I have tried each separately), I go to the 'review and istall updates' page. After I click on the install updates link, I am immediately taken to the widows update error page.

linney, I do seem to be able to download form your two url's.

spook351, this is a licensed copy bought directly from Microsoft. I have downloaded without incident 'til now. Idon't and never will KAZAA.

I've had problems like this before also, the things I've tried that have made everything work are:

delete the c:\wutemp directory
clear the Temporary Internet Files
Set your I.E. security settings to as low as possible (you can set them back afterwards)

that's made it work for me in the past

bcaster, tried your ideas with no success.
acetylene, passes the SSL test.

I thought the issues with 811493 had been fixed and new patch released, but that's another story.

It is possible (I think) to personalise your Windows Update settings so that you are not offered this patch in the first place. Definitely for recommended updates, I have not tried it for Critical Updates. If it can be done the instructions are on the Windows Update page to personalise your settings.

817753 - Errors Occur When You Try to Install Updates from the Windows Update Web Site

bcaster, this occurs as soon as I click on the install now button. This is what it says:

Windows Update has encountered an error and cannot display the requested page.

Select from any of the following pages for information about Windows Update services, or send us your feedback.

Windows Update Home Page
About Windows Update
Support Information

You can also get online support if you are having problems with Windows Update.

Send error number to Microsoft (0x80070057)
Note This sends error information but does not create a support incident; you may or may not receive a response.

Is the Background Intelligent Transfer Service running on your machine?

Start, Run, services.msc

and check that it is running.

This is the fix, I am told:

For purposes of getting Windows Update items --- turn off antivirus; turn off firewall. Turn off browser add-ins like ad-blocking utilities. Close your other running programs.

Do a cleanup.
Bring up Windows Explorer / Tools / Folder Options/ select VIEW Tab and look at all of settings listed.

"CHECK" (turn on) Display the contents of system folders.

Under column, Hidden files and folders----choose ( *select* ) Show hidden
files and folders.
Next, un-check Hide extensions for known file types.
Next un-check Hide protected operating system files.

Use Windows Explorer. Go to C:\Windows\System32

If you have a sub-folder called * Catroot2 * (not Catroot) rename the folder to CR2OLD. Or delete everything in that folder. Just make sure you do the right one.

This is for WIN2000 / Win XP:
Read, study, and do what this article recommends. One of the things you will do is to *very carefully* remove some files from the WUTEMP folder ; plus some more.

WINUP: Error Message: "Software Update Incomplete, This Windows Update Software Did Not Update successfully
];Q319585

A. Make sure you follow the sections for your operating system: XP or Win2000.
B. After doing Q319585, 2 controls IUCTL.dll & IUENGINE.dll will be renewed (re-downloaded) during next Windows Update session.
- - - -

Try this short checklist against settings of Internet Explorer. Try it on 1 then a 2nd pc. Try each of Windows update off the menu bar; and then the HTTPS address.

Plus, recheck your Internet Explorer Privacy settings & Security settings, plus others.

1. In Internet Explorer> Tools, click Internet Options, and then click Languages.... If this box is *empty*, add at least one language -- your native language. If you happen to have 2 or more, move English up on this list.

2. Disable your *Discussion Bar * in Internet Explorer: Click View. Point to Explorer Bar.

Click Discuss to remove the check mark and disable ( clear ) this .

Internet Explorer > main menu /Tools/Internet Options

Add these 3 entries to list of "Trusted Sites" -- the syntax as follows --
with the * wildcard:
*.windowsupdate.microsoft.com
*.download.windowsupdate.com
v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com

Security Tab/ click on green icon Trusted Sites/click Sites button, add & apply change(s).

In Internet Explorer > Tools - Internet Options -Advanced - Security -
Clear (un-check) the check box next to "Check for server certificate
revocation" .
Apply changes.

Retry Windows Update from Win start menu.

Last, try using your Internet Explorer browser, using strictly all HTTPS .

bcastner, tried everything same old story.

I really do appreciate your (and everyone's) help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back