Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WinNT NIC Info

Status
Not open for further replies.

krkX

Programmer
Nov 12, 2000
NL
Hi,

I am trying to get the speed and duplex from the nic(s) on multiple NT4 machines.
I can get some info out of the registry, but the NT4 registry has proven to be far from complete concerning this.

Any help is appreciated? WMI/API/Other...

Thnx,

[ponder]KrK

I would suggest two classes in WMI. Win32_NetworkAdapter and Win32_NetworkAdapterConfiguration.

[blue]"Well, once again my friend, we find that science is a two headed beast. One head is nice, it gives us aspirin and other modern conveniences,...but the other head of science is BAD! Oh, beware the other head of science, Arthur; it bites!!" - The Tick[/blue]

Tnx,

I've tried those, but none of the stored values seem to have the speed and duplex settings unfortunately....

[ponder]KrK

How about:
Win32_PerfRawData_PerfNet_Browser
Win32_PerfRawData_PerfNet_Redirector
Win32_PerfRawData_PerfNet_Server
Win32_PerfRawData_PerfNet_ServerWorkQueues

[blue]"Well, once again my friend, we find that science is a two headed beast. One head is nice, it gives us aspirin and other modern conveniences,...but the other head of science is BAD! Oh, beware the other head of science, Arthur; it bites!!" - The Tick[/blue]

That would do the trick for monitoring performance (actual speed).
But I am trying to get the "set values", as they appear in the NIC settings.

My problem is that the values are in the registry, but unlike w2k, there are no enum's to get corresponding values. I think these values are in the NIC software itself.
That would result in "guessing" that for speed value &H00064 would be 100Mbit and 2 in duplex for full.

PS: This is not the case for Intel network cards, they do have the enum's

[ponder]KrK

Well then I know enough to admit when I am stumped. Sorry I couldn't help. If you find the answer somewhere else, please post it here for the greater edification of the community.

No, worries...

Thanks for helping, I'll continue my struggle to get the info from somewhere.

[ponder]KrK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back