Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WinModem 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrigoreDolghin

Programmer
Oct 23, 2000
RO
Hello all.

I have to dial a telephone number from VFP 6.0. I don't know the COM the modem is attached to.

1. Is there a way to find out if the modem is installed in customer's computer, and if it is, what COM is in use by modem?

2. Can anyone show a sample code to dial a number, assuming that the modem's COM is known?

Thank you very much

1. Is there a way to find out if the modem is installed in customer's computer, and if it is, what COM is in use by modem?

We purchased an ActiveX for faxing from and it included an ActiveX (FaxFinder) that will query all the installed devices and return the port of which the device is installed and if the device supports class 1,2, or 2.0.

2. Can anyone show a sample code to dial a number, assuming that the modem's COM is known?

If you have the VB samples that come with Visual Studio, there are 2 examples using the MSCOMM control for modem communication. Search your computer for dialer.vbp and VBtest.vbp. If you dont have them, check here: Jon Hawkins
jonscott8@yahoo.com

The World Is Headed For Mutiny,
When All We Want Is Unity. - Creed

there is a downloadsample on Created with some code from MS and from another foxprogrammer. basically it searches for the com port and gives an opportunity to type a number in a textbox and have the autoselected modem dial it.

Hello, Boudevijn

Your message was a real surprise for me. I didn't tought someone will read the last year's messages.

Thank you for the message and for the link. I am already member at foxite (btw: very good site), and, anyway, I've solved this problem and delivered the app in the meantime.

But thank you again.

Grigore Dolghin
Class Software
Bucharest, Romania

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back