Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WinME-On shutdown WINPPR32 not responding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris1234

Technical User
Jan 15, 2003
US
On a system running WindowsME, every time a shutdown is started we get the error message "WINPPR32 Not Responding" and then must tell it to end the task and then do the shutdown which finally works.

How do we fix this so that we no longer get the error and can you explain what is causing this error about a WindowsME file?????

Thanks
Chris C.

Chris,

I might start by shutting all programs down and then killing everything in the system tray to see if the system shuts down ok. Have you tried doing a web search on that file name to see if you can get a clue as to what it does?

I would suggest you run a full virus scan with updated definitions for good measure. It may be a long shot, but this is a file that the SoBig virus copies itself as.

With some embarrasment, I realized as soon as I saw the two replies above that I had failed to do the things that I should by this time do automatically.

Had I entered the file name as the search argument to Google, I'd have realized what the problem was very quickly.

Today I got back onto the system on which this occurred, updated the anti-virus, and it took care of SoBig very quickly.

Thanks to both, and I will do my homework next time.

Chris C.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back