Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WinME --> 98 home network

Status
Not open for further replies.

protestboy

Technical User
Feb 6, 2001
US
Hi, I'm trying to network two computers together and having some difficulty. One of the computers is running winME and the other is running 98. I followed the instructions and home networking wizard of ME and installed it on the 98 machine but I'm having trouble. Neither one of the computers can see the other one. They have themselves listed but not the other computer. Is there a way to fix this? Also, what username and password is it asking for when it starts up. The wizard sets up the computer to login to client for microsoft networks, but I don't know what username or password to use. Any help is greatly appreciated!

I just went through this myself in the past month.

1. The username and password can be added at that prompt. It wants to set up local user profiles.

2. I had some problems with my windows 98 machine regarding the .dll files relating to networking. However, it sounds like there might be a simpler solution.

Under the network properties (Control Panel, Network, Right Click--Properties). Check to make sure that they share the same network name i.e. MyWorkGroup, and that each computer has a unique name.

Some Questions:
Can the computers see themselves in network neighborhood or do you get an error such as "Unable to browse network neighborhood"?

What type of hub/router are you using?

Does it require special drivers?

Do you have the right protocols set up?Some hubs, in my experience require NetBEUI. I use an Asante FR3000 series router and it utilizes TCP/IP, a protocol that should be set up when your network card is installed.

Are you running a personal firewall on any of the computers such as ZoneAlarm?

Hope this helps... If your still not up and running I'll see if I can help more.

jelwood01

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back