Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Winlogon.exe Application Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmrrfld

Technical User
Nov 25, 2002
US
Hi, I have been getting these popup errors on one of my NT4 servers. "Winlogon.exe Application Error The instruction at 0x77f7f184 Referenced Memory 0x00560053 The memory could not be read" It doesn't seem to cause any problems, except 2 users couldn't print through the Print cue on that server.
Anyone have any clues to what might be causing this. If we click O.K. on the popup the server reboots automatically.
Thanks in advance,
Don

is there any specific errors showing up in the event log. Did this error just start happening or is this a fresh load.
Need a lil more info and i will try to help out Thanks
Erik Butler
2000 MCSE
erikbutler@centurytel.net

Hi, I'm sorry I should have given more info. The event viewer shows zilch, nothing. This is a server that has been running the same install for 3 or 4 years. It is one of the few remaining legacy servers that we haven't rebuilt (reinstalled). It is the PDC for the domain, it has 2 databases running on it. Basically, it is overworked. However, we did remove it's responsibility as the mailserver not too long ago. This did lighten the load quite abit. I think it reboots because of the setting to Reboot the server on "Stop errors". I would just like to figure out why the error. I'm almost thinking it might be a memory chip that has gone bad, and it only uses that address in memory at a peak usage. It could also be something like a workstation misconfiguration causing this. Our thought process tells us to start turning unnecessary services off one at a time, to see if that helps. I could say more, but I feel like I'm babbeling.
Don

I know this sounds lame but have you reapplied SP for the server. Then you are right i would start killing unnecessary services first. See if you can find your culprit. or is you have spare mememory you can try replacing it. All else fails set fire to it and call it done :) Let me know i am still trying to find any instance of the error but its not looking good. Thanks
Erik Butler
2000 MCSE

Thanks for the advice. It has SP 6a 128. We have not reapplied it. I have my own feelings about reapplying a service pack. If we had added a service or protocol or something like that, I could see doing the service pack again. But nothing has been added. This is a Mission Critical server. More critical than it should be. We are trying to move the server replacement along as fast as we can. Migrating users and applications takes alot of thought and work.
Thanks, Don

I had a server that was the same way DHCP started failing intermitantly and i was down to my last nerve. Reinistalling SP6a again cured them. I have no qualms on reistalling SP's because it has fixed more problems than i can count. But i do not blame you on tring other options first. Hope you get this issue resolve soon. Thanks
Erik Butler
2000 MCSE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back