Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wink-out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiss1978

IS-IT--Management
Jun 24, 2003
US
I have a client who's Dell monitor is 'blacking out' i.e. it will quickly 'wink' to a black screen before restoring to normal. Never happened before, no new hard/software installed lately. Whaddyathink?...video card, monitor problem or worse. I appreciate your reply.

Are you overclocking the video drivers/hardware?

Are you running something which changes video modes? (i.e. a directx game or something of the like)

If either is the case, then this behavior is normal.

Cheers!

Many thanks for your prompt reply. Sadly I don't think over clocking or videos are the reason. This is one of those "Only-drives-it-to-church-on-Sunday-only-checks-his-E-mail" kind of thing. Any other suggestions are welcome and, again, thanks.

10-4 on that. Plus, it was discovered he had a 'crash' situation' the night before and turned the power off at the UPS instead of the tower itself. They have replaced the video card and are now looking at the UPS for faults. Thanks again.

Well, coming out of sleep mode can cause the monitor "blink" as you called it as this is the monitors way of auto-adjusting the refresh differential between being off and being powered back on when the system wakes up.

Cheers!

Have you made any headway with this, Kiss1978?

Let us know how it played out.

Thanks.

Monitors are famous for having a small resistor going out. When it does the monitor will not light up any more. On the away out the resistor will get hot and spread open, then come back together again, causing the monitor to blink. A buddy of mine has replaced this 89 cent part for quite a few monitors. I wish I knew which resistor it was!!!

Jon

There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge. (Bertrand Russell)

Thanks to all. The video card was going out at the same time as the UPS. Both have been resolved. My thanks to all for their assistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back