Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

winipconfig

Status
Not open for further replies.

tim7

IS-IT--Management
Feb 9, 2002
GB
I have a network of computers running 98 on workstations and a 2003server. One of pcs will not logon to system and when i try winipconfig it tells me it is a bad command or file name yet others in the system give info. am i doing something wrong here as i have little experience in such matters? Network neighbourhood tells me the network is not accessible. could any one suggest a way forward to help me
yours
Tim

Hello tim7,

It is either winipcfg or ipconfig. Not winipconfig.

regards - tsuji

Try it with the /all switch too
so Ipconfig /all from an MSDOS prompt box
also try Netstat -a
or just Winipcfg like tsuji says

TT4U

Notification:
These are just "my" thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions.
Backup All Important Data/Docs..All involved shall be spared the grief.

Thanks for pointing out my mistake. I actually was using winipcfg but in a panic wrote it down incorrectly. After much headscratching i have found the culprit to be a faulty cable into the hub, which was stopping the pc gain an ip address.
Thanks for help. Will now try these other two commands to see what they do.
Tim

I've had trouble getting windows 98 computers to logon to a windows 2003 domain.

If you are running Active Directory on this domain then I would suggest installing the DSClient on the Winodws 98 PC. This application can be found on the WINDOWS 2000 (yes 2000) server cd in a folder called \clients. I've tried to download this from the internet but failed to find it. If you can get your hands on a Windows 2000 server cd then install the DSClient (Directory Services Client) and this may solve your problem.

oscar.

I'm testing 2003 with AD etc
I've tried DSClient and still can't login with a 98 pc
is there anything special that has to be done on the 98 pc?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back