Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Winini for Windows 2000?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadedred

IS-IT--Management
Oct 24, 2002
US
Howdy,
Does anybody know what the name is for the Winini (win 95 and 98 editions) program is for Windows 2000. What I wan tto do is remove some of the programs that load when I start Windows, since I can't disable them through there settings and I tried removing them and they still leave a fill that tries to start and I get a error message since the software isn't there. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Shadedred

_-_-_-_
If you don't have dreams, how will they come true?

There isnt a winini file in persy in Windows 2000. You can check the registry for start up files.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\run (all run style folders)
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\run (all run style folders)

Try in these 2 locations for programs strting up. James Collins
Field Service Engineer
A+, MCP, Network+

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

Actually, there is a WIN.INI in W2K, it's in the WINNT directory. It's principal use is for compabibility with old programs that don't put stuff into the registry, but it is there, and it is used.

True, however it is mainly used for 16bit support and not for much else. For what the original post was looking for the winin in W2K is of no concern. It looks as though the origina poster is looking for ways to stop programs from starting on bootup. James Collins
Field Service Engineer
A+, MCP, Network+

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back