Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WinFax v10, can not connect to WinFax server

Status
Not open for further replies.

ispyderman98

IS-IT--Management
Feb 18, 2003
US
Here's the deal:

I have a Windows 2k box on my network that up until a couple of weeks ago was working fine with my WinFax server. However, now WinFax fails to connect. There are several other WinFax nodes on the network that connect just fine. I've tried everything, reconfiguring the connection, using different configuration settings and even reinstalling WinFax on both the client and server. Every other application works fine on the system so I know it's not a Windows or hardware problem. I've searched everywhere for troubleshooting documentation on WinFax with no luck on this issue. Help!

My guess is some Windows patch has blown things up for me. But, that doesn't explain why my other WinFax nodes connect just fine.

Anyone?

Compare the version of OLEAUT32.DLL on the client and compare with the one on the server. Should be the same.

Also make sure that the RPC and COM+ services are running on the client.

Both files were different. The client side was older. So, I just applied the latest service pack in order to update the dll file. Now, both files are of the same version. However, no cigar. It still fails. I checked both services and they are running. The error messsage I get is as follows, "the object export specified was not found", preceded by the message that WinFax is unable to connect to my server. The funny thing is that upon configuring the client, the WinFax server is found just fine without question. Is there just no connectivity back to the WinFax database?

Delete the following registry keys:

HKLM\Software\Delrina\Commsuite\7.0\Locations
HKLM\Software\Delrina\Commsuite\7.0\Modems
HKLM\Software\Delrina\Commsuite\7.0\WFXIFModems

As always, make a backup of the registry first. Don't touch the registry if you don't know what your doing, computer might self distruct if you mess up, etc. Hope that covers it.

If controller is running, kill it then restart WinFax. Might be best just to restart Windows to make sure. You will have to do setup again, but it should fly.

I think WinFax was made by the devil. I swear.

That didn't work either. However, I checked the Event Viewer to see if WinFax was throwing an error to better pin-point the problem. I noticed that everytime WinFax Controller tried to start a log message appeared saying something about an "incorrect system name." Now, this workstation logs on to the network and performs well under any other situation. So, to resolve to issue I renamed the system to another name and reconnected it to the domain with obvious success. After that change, WinFax, "the devil's software", worked fine. Now, my next question is why? and where does WinFax store system client information?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back