Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wine vs VMWare

Status
Not open for further replies.

OOzy

Programmer
Jul 24, 2000
SA
Hi

I want to run all my windows app under Linux. Can any one tell me which software should I use: Wine or VMWare?

OOzy

It depends if you want to pay for it/hold valid licenses for business use or not ? As I understand WINE is a public license and VMWare is commercially licensed.

On a technical front I've played with both, sorry, done extensive evaluation work on both, and prefered VMWare. Not really any major reasons, except that I could install as many different OSs as I wanted, not just Windoze. We ended up with LINUX on M$ on LINUX with a further nest of Solaris on LINUX. Of course there is an overhead, but isn't there always.

On the other hand I'm pretty sure that WINE is a more 'efficient' way to do this kind of OS nesting and of course free is the cheapest that you can get. Ian

"IF" is not a word it's a way of life

vmware is good if you want to emulate almost any x86 OS, wine is eh ok, for some of the generic stuff I tried.

I heard that win4lin is the best windows emulator for Linux. Karl Blessing aka kb244{fastHACK}
kblogo.jpg

I have a friend who has win4Lin and he says it works really well.. He had WIN2K installed under linux and used 3DSMAX 4 under WIN2K under Linux with no probs....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back