Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WinDVD error

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jantzen

IS-IT--Management
Oct 31, 2002
GB
I have a compaq Evo N1005v laptop with winXP pro installed.
I have installed the winDVD drivers but when trying to play a DVD I get the error message.

Resolution too high or change colour depth!

I have changed both settings but still get the error meassge

Any ideas?

Cheers

J

I had the same problem. I set the screen resolution to 800x600 and the color quality to the lowest setting (Medium). It worked fine for me after that.

I have tried that but still no joy!

I downloaded the WinDVD drivers from the Compaq website is there any other drivers that may work?

Cheers

J

I had this problem first with a Matrox 450. The answer was an updated driver and limiting colour depth to 16 bit (64K). I had forgotten about this when I switched to a Matrox 550 and got the same message until I reduced from 24 to 16 bit. I am using 1600x1200 resolution, so at least in my case the problem was colour depth rather than resolution.

Another hint, if this doesn't help, is to consult the video card manufacturer's website. In the case of Matrox there is a fairly active user group forum and the problem was covered there.

Hope this helps.

Had this problem on a friends computer. This occurs when Microsoft netmeeting isn't closed properly. Rebooting doesn't help. Open netmeeting and the close it using the X in the upper right hand corner.
This solved my problem

I have solved the problem!
When I installed WinXP for some reason it installed the default graphics display drivers?

So I installed the correct ATI drivers and re-booted where this time plug and play worked and the Win DVD works fine!

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back