Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windoze killed my files

Status
Not open for further replies.

madguy

Programmer
Mar 31, 2006
IN
For some reason when i booted the machine couple of minutes ago all the files in the my documents folder had disapeared.
Thus all the windoze settings were reset.

In that folder, I kept all my work and mp3s.
However the free space left has not change. So i guessed that they were located somewhere.
I finally found some fragments. They where in a newly created FOUND folder as fragments with a .chk extention.

Well out of my 20mp3 i found 3 that were still intact.
The rest of the files are probably in bits of 8k file fragments.

Why the heck did windoze do that. Also is there a way i can get back structured files as they were before?

Ironically i was going to back up those files today when i brought some more cdr's.

im not a happy bunny.

thx for any help that you guys can give me.

My experience has taught me that in most of these cases the end-user is powering down the PC before properly shutting down the OS (windoze). Without knowing what you have installed (besides windoze) it is very difficult to help you. There can be a myriad of reasons; all pointing to either a corrupt system (try reinstalling windoze), a hard drive that is going south or some other application you have installed that is doing this to your file system.

Did you try to search the files on your pc ?
maybe you profie is damaged.
Eran

Well what happened was that last night I switched of the computer as normal, however for some reason win2k decided to do a scandisk for some reason during booting. Then glanced at the screen and it said something about linked files.

It may be that those linked files were the Adminstration folder.

Anyhow it seems that fat32 is not such a great fs.

Also in the FOUND folder there are +10000 files. Im guessing that, thats were all my mp3 are scatered.
Winamp seems to play some of the files for a nano secound.

It seems i'm going to have to sort out a raid system.

thx to everyone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back