Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windowx XP share no accesible over the network

Status
Not open for further replies.

pablo1999

IS-IT--Management
Jan 17, 2005
US
I have 2 win XP Pro PCs on a ethernet network inside the same workgroup.

Computer A has file and printer sharing turned on. Computer A can access a share on Computer B located inside the C:/Documents and Settings/Administrator.

Computer B has file and printer sharing turned on. Computer B cannot access a share on Computer A located inside the C:/Documents and Settings/Administrator.

Both computers have the Windows Firewall disabled.

Message I get when trying to access the share at Computer A is the following:

\\ComputerA\Administrator is not accesible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the admistrator.

Access denied.

I followed the same procedures to share the folder as I did on Computer B and is not working. I right clicked the folder and selected "Share this folder". Inside the security tab the local administrator account listed and the SYSTEM account. I tried to add a new account but the location section only shows the local computer and no other computers from the same workgroup. How can I enable this so I can let users from another computer access the share inside Computer A.

Thank you for your help.

You can't specify other computers in a workgroup situation - only domain. You could try adding the 'everyone' group to the security list. It sounds like simplified sharing is turned off on Computer A. Try turning it on (is it turned on on Computer B?). With simplified sharing turned off, you need 'matching accounts' - ie, logon for the account trying to access the network share has to match (username/password the same) an existing account on the computer hosting the share. With it turned on, that's no longer necessary.

I added 'everyone' group to the list but I want to control the access per user. Computer A and B have simplified sharing off. Computer A can access the share at Computer B but Computer B cannot access the share on Computer A.

All I'm looking for is to get a login prompt when accessing the share. When trying to access from Computer B the share at computer A I doesnt even ask me for a user name and password it just said.

\\ComputerA\Administrator is not accesible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the admistrator.

Access denied.

Do I have to enable something at the Group policies or User policies?

Why it doesn even ask me for user name and password?????

Thanks

pablo1999 - I'm at a bit of a disadvantage, as I hardly ever have any problems with networking XP machines - and the only times I have, its been a firewall or other security app that's caused it. I NEVER run network wizards in XP (don't know if you have) - apart from the fact its so easy to do without, I've seen too many posts where people have and then get a problem. And I always disable simplified sharing (which you have too).

Basically just connect machines to network and share a resource on each and it works (assuming DHCP server present - if not, have to assign manual IP address to each machine of course) - even if the machines have different workgroups.

Might be worth checking the WINS tab in the advanced bit of TCP/IP properties to make sure you've got netbios settings correct. btw - is there a dhcp server or do you use manual IP addresses?

Plenty of suggestions to try in these threads, maybe you'll get lucky?

"You might have no permission to use this network resource !

You Might Not Have Permission..., Sharing in one direction, not the other

What is the Event Viewer saying about all this?

A good Network Troubleshooter can be found on Hans-Georg Michna's site.

WinXP Connectivity Issues
faq779-4625

Thanks to everyone.

These are the steps that I finished following to get it working. The key thing is to login with the same user account on both machines.

Do the following on Computer A:

1. Enable Advanced File Sharing
2. Share the folder
3. On the sharing tab click "Permissions"
4. Add the local users you want to have access. In my case I added "Administrator" and removed everybody else.

On Computer B:

1. You need to login to Windows with user account "Administrator".
2. When connecting to the share on Computer A you will enter the administrator username and the password you established on Computer A for user account Administrator.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back