Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

windowsme to winxp

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajun1124

MIS
Jul 25, 2009
US
will upgrade to winxp soon,have upgraded memory from 128 to 768 ,only have 3 slots this is all it will allow,would love to have 4gigs, not possible without newer computer.online banking and other systems will not operate on older systems.will upgrade soon.. will i have any problems installing winxp, has anyone had trouble with this

XP will run fine on 768Mb; long as the rest of your system is up to it.

"online banking and other systems will not operate on older systems."

It works on my P133/96Mb machine with IE6 or FF2. Not blazin' fast, but it works.

I assume from your post in the Me forum that you're running Me? If so, don't be surprised if you have problems with 768Mb installed.

Skip

I would suggest if you're going from Windows ME to XP then you should consider doing a full format and fresh install of the OS. If you're having any problems then doing an upgrade will just make the error messages look prettier(Meaning it wont fix them :p). As for having trouble you shouldnt have any. I ran XP on a old 500mhz w/ 128MB of RAM, it ran like crap but it did run.

The options for clean installing are listed in this article, together with screenshots to guide you through the Setup.

Clean Install Windows XP

This will save your Settings and Files (not programs) if you want to carry them across from ME while still doing a clean install.

Files and Settings Transfer Wizard

What ever method you use, clean install, or upgrade from ME, make sure you end up with a system running on a NTFS file system and not the old ME FAT32 file system. This will give you better security overall.

If you upgrade, you can use this procedure.

Converting FAT32 to NTFS in Windows

307881 - HOW TO: Convert a FAT16 or FAT32 Volume to NTFS in Windows XP

When you buy your new machine get one with Windows 7 already installed, that way you can skip Vista altogether.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back