Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windowshade mode?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xezekielx

IS-IT--Management
Jun 30, 2005
CA
Hi! Just wanted to know if it was possible to make a "windowshade" mode (i.e. shrink the window to only show the title-bar, not the rest of the form) in VB.NET. Thanks in advance!

me.height=0
or
me.height=21

maybe, something like that. I'm not sure off the top of my head if the title height is included or if the form is capable of height's smaller the the header.

-Rick

VB.Net Forum forum796 forum855 ASP.NET Forum
[monkey]I believe in killer coding ninja monkeys.[monkey]

Thanks for the answer but it doesn't really work... It still shows a nasty 2 pixels high form... I really want only the titlebar to show up.

If you only allow the title bar, how will the user be able to do anything, like get back to the previous form or the main form??? I'm just curious.

What you can do is set up a dummy form, without controls, with a height of 0 and call this form from whatever form you want to make as small as possible. You just need a way to navigate between forms. By this I mean if the second (or any other form for that matter) is so small that the only thing visible is the title bar, how does the user do anything???

OK I guess I should explain a little better what I'm trying to do. I want to make an RSS news reader that will display in the title bar the news from the RSS file(s). This works. Now I only want to show the title bar as I don't need to show any controls (the configuration will be made through a "notify icon" context menu). The main reason why I want to keep the "default" title bar instead of making a new one is to take advantage of the themes of WinXP. I have a MacOS X theme that looks really neat and I don't want to use a nasty grey (or any other color for that matter)-coloured label as a title bar. Hope I made things a little clearer ;)

Thanks!

Hello,

Here is an article that describes how to add an additional button to the titlebar. I realize that you said you are going to only use the default title bar, but with this example it would be possible to read the current theme settings and use those to construct the custom button. Hope you or someone else finds this useful.

Adding a 'Minimize to tray'-button to a Form's caption bar

pozitron969

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back