Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows98 and Samsung monitor drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xewie

Technical User
Oct 29, 2002
FI
Hi all!

Im new to this forum and am seeking some serious help for my problem with Windows98.

It concerns a Samsung SyncMaster 959NF monitor. It seems great. It supports damn good refreshrates as well. My problem is windows98 im running it on. Sometimes when i start up pc it decides to detect a new hardware... an unknown monitor. After that refreshrates are in 60Hz... aaaaargh.

I see in the devicelist 2 drivers for the monitor... the samsung driver and the unknown monitor driver. I can remove the unknown monitordriver but if i refresh or restart it detects the unknown monitor again :S.

I get this fixed by letting the pc be off a few hours and trying again... for some reason it fixes it by itself?!?!?!?

I can sometimes run the monitor drivercd and that fixes the problem. But like now i just cant get it fixed.

My questions are.... have anyone else had any similar problems with monitor drivers?!?!? Is there a way to adjust windows98 refreshrates to above 60Hz... this hurts eyes...

What on earth should i do?

Thanks for reading this,

Xewie.

Try to delete both monitors from device list and let the system to find one again.

I tried... it autodetects an unknown monitor...?!?!?

Xewie

Try going into safe mode (F8) and remove the drivers there. You probably have several drivers listed there that need to be removed. "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing....." [idea]

If the list in System Properties, Device Manager, Monitors is empty... can there still be some drivers installed?!?!

How on earth should i remove those... and if there are some drivers... why does win98 detect the monitor into unknown?

Xewie

Hello Xewie:
I had the same problem with win98se and a samsung monitor. Sometimes windows would install 3 or 4 monitors. I would uninstall all and try again only to repeat the multiple monitor installations. Finally I just disabled the unknown monitor in Device Manager and that ended all problems. This isn't a permanent solution ( a future fresh win98 install worked) but it did work for the time I used it. Try this if no luck with nobrain's suggestion.Hope this works for you. "Inter faeces et urinam, nascimur."
St. Augustine

Thx for the tip sydspirit... i will.

Oddly enough my monitor was detected perfectly today. The powerstrip utility now shows all the details right. And i didnt do anything after the 15 reboots yesterday i just let it be. Does this seem to be a hardwareproblem to any of u. I have almost full warranty left in both videocard and the monitor.

To prevnt future troubles i copied my device managers hardware profile and also the win98 registry so i could possibly restore the current working setup. Any thoughts of these precautions?

Thx for the great interest in this problem, this forum is just AWESOME, lol...

Xewie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back