Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

windows95 hangs.... 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JasonS

MIS
Sep 7, 1999
US
Visit site
My win95 machine hangs on the 'please wait while windows shuts down your machine" screen and sits like that all night untill I come in the next day and have to power it off and run scandisk because it was shut down improperly.<br>
<br>
Anyone got any Ideas????<br>
<br>
thanks in advance<br>
<br>
Jay

Are you talking about autoscan when the computer boots after a bad shutdown. You know you can turn that off in the MSDOS.SYS file by adding the line AUTOSCAN=0 <p>John D. Saucier<br><a href=mailto:jsauce@net1plus.com>jsauce@net1plus.com</a><br><a href= Backup</a><br>

I didn't mention that because AutoScan=1 comes in handy when there are power-related reboots on unattended machines. The user is likely to return and find Windows in Safe Mode - a clue that something stopped the machine in his absence.

Ever seen the look on the users face when confronted with SAFE MODE. They freak out and look very lost. They tell you all sorts of things happened that didn't really and things that did happen they forget to mention. Safe mode for the most part is more trouble than it is worth. Its better to check the log on times. If someone logs off and then back on within a minute or so, their computer has died...

I've seen that look. The text is always the same; &quot;I didn't know.&quot;<br>
BTW: That was my first reaction when I dicovered that my wife's favorite screen saver had installed Back Orifice on our home system.

<b>LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL</b>....Oh yeah, <b>LMAO</b> too!!! <p>-Robherc<br><a href=mailto:robherc@netzero.net>robherc@netzero.net</a><br><a href= > </a><br>*nix installation & program collector/reseller. Contact me if you think you've got one that I don't :)

Point taken. But don't laugh too hard. The next BO might not be so easy to detect and remove. Message to all users: watch your backs.

Not funny Alt....you might want to consider your wording a little better next time (Back Orifice)....I guess you could tell us to watch our butts though ;P <p>-Robherc<br><a href=mailto:robherc@netzero.net>robherc@netzero.net</a><br><a href= > </a><br>*nix installation & program collector/reseller. Contact me if you think you've got one that I don't :)

OK YOU ALL WANT TO KNOW WHAT I DID???<br>
<br>
I went to the system tray and turned off this stupid little program that came with the sound card and TADA! It shuts down just fine ...Sorry I never told you people what I did I was in a rush and never thought about it till I came back today...<br>
<br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back