Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows95 Browsing To A IP Routed Sited

Status
Not open for further replies.

daza6373

Technical User
Jun 11, 2001
GB
I have just routed a remote site on our Network to the following class C address range 192.168.100.xxx

My central site uses a class B range of IP address 128.20.xxx.xxx

When using Windows 98/98 explorer I can not browse the PC's at the remote site on the new 192.168.100.xxx network. Why not? What changes are required on the PC's and / or Cisco Routers ?

All help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

If I understand your situation correctly, ...

First, the 192.168.xxx.xxx block is non-routable, intended for internal LAN IP addressing. Your WAN port must have a routable IP. These are assigned by service providers.

... presuming each site has NAT routing, the (Cisco) NAT Inside and Outside commands, among others, create the translation of inside, non-routable IPs within your site to your outside IP (routable) address.

So, the destination IP on packets from the outside world is your site's routable address, not the inside addresses. The router does the translation and filtering so only expected source addresses are permitted into the LAN.

Further, if you are aiming for a single remote inside address then the remote router must have specific routes established in the remote router.

You did not mention other complications such as Proxy Servers, DMZ machines, etc., which make it all the more interesting.

Yours,
Mike

I'm going to take a wild guess that you're not a MILNET site and using the 128.0.0.0/8 address space as if it were RFC1918 space (I've now worked for 2 companies that decided that it was 'good enough to be non-routable', so I can see it happening elsewhere), connecting the second site and not advertising either address space to the outside world.

What you're probably seeing is a NetBIOS browsing issue, not a real routing issue. NetBIOS is heavily broadcast-based, and routers usually don't propagate broadcasts across subnets. There's a couple of different approaches you can take, and it will depend on what your NT/NetBIOS environment looks like. Do you have a WINS server in place? Are all the clients set to use it? Is there an NT/2000 server on the 192.168.100.0 segment with a valid WINS configuration?

Sorry Folks.
Let me be more specfic with my problem. I have a central site that contains a couple of NT 4 Server's and about 50 networked Windows 95/98 PC's. The IP address range here is 128.20.xxx.xxx This site is linked to a remote site using a Cisco Router with a 256K leased line to a remote site that contains only networked Windows 98/98 PC's, these use IP address range 192.168.100.xxx THERE IS NO INTERNET CONNECTION AT EITHER END.
How can I get the Windows 95 PC's at the Central site to be able to see the PC's at the remote site using Windows network neighborhood ? And vice-versa!

Thanks in advance.

First of all can you ping the remote pc's? On the router you can place the command service tcp-small servers which will open up certain ports.

As you haven't specifically mentioned that you've set up the routing and as this is a point to point link between two sites just use a gateway of last resort on the cisco's.

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 serial0

Then either set the default gateway on the PC's at the main site (if you have no default gateway configured) to the IP address of the cisco's ethernet interface or if you already have a default gateway assigned (i.e. pointing to a firewall) then add a route for 192.168.100.0/24 to the PC's so they know where to send the packets.

Depending on what you're trying to do across the line you might also need to set up an ip-helper address - but all depends what you're doing.

Any help ?

Let's say:
Network A:128.20.xxx.xxx
Network B:192.168.100.xxx

Assuming that doing ping from A to B and vice-versa you get replies.

If you have a Win NT Server on A called SRV1 with DHCP and WINS (and maybe DNS) and from the other side you don't have any Server at all, how the PCs on B get their IP addresses.Do they have fixed IP addresses?

If so, you should rather set manually on every client that WINS is SRV1.

If they get IP from the SRV1 (and that means that you've setup ip-helper address on routers) you must have set up two DHCP scopes SRV1 - one for network A and one for network B. In scope for B you must specify that WINS is the SRV1.

Assuming they get IP from another Server on B SRV2, (and that means that this one is only a DHCP Server) you have to setup in DHCP options that WINS server is SRV1. And you don't have to enable any broadcast messages from your routers because all the PCs on B knows the WINS server. If you already have WINS server on SRV2 you only have to set that SRV1 and SRV2 are replication partners.

Hope to be helpful.

Yes doing a Ping from Network A to Network B works fine. All PC's at site A and Site B have static IP address's. The NT4 Server is at site A. Having read what you have said does this mean that all have have to do on the PC's at the B site is point the WINS entry to be the name of the NT4 Server at Site A.

What is a ip-helper address on routers ?

Many thanks to you all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back