Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows7 How Do I Add Network Printer To Appear At User Login? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoeythecat

Technical User
May 2, 2002
US
Hi All,

(Environment) - Windows2003 Domain/Windows7

* When multiple users log on to the domain, I would like a network printer to be automatically added. So, if userA logs on \\server\printer1 will be in the printer list and then userB logs on and will see the same printer mapped (and so on).

(Question) - How can I accomplish this?

Thanks for any suggestions

go to add a printer.Choose add a network printer,let the wizard search for printers, if it doesn't find the printer, make sure it is shared on the network, you could also select, printer wasn't found, and a box will pop up to type in the share name. then you go through the choosing of the make, and model for the drivers, or use downloaded drivers.

Rclark,

Thanks for the post but I understand the concept how to
Add a network printer. What I'm asking is how to automate this so when any user logs in from a specific workstation how can this be automated so the network printer is mapped each time a user logs in. I know this can be done by login script for each user, but I don't want that because these users will login to other computers from different subnets. So, I'm looking to do this function from different computers and not for different users.

Hopefully I explained that better.

Can the great Linney help

Tia

You can use printui.dll

rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /ga /n\\servername\printername

You only need to run this once when you set up the printer, the printer will then be setup as a global printer on the machine and available to all users.

You can also use

rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /?

to get a list of all the switches you can use with the command.

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Behind the Web, Tips and Tricks for Web Development.

Phil,

This is great. This should do the trick. I'll test it out on Monday.

Thanks

This worked like a charm...Thanks for the post.

Glad I could help.

Phil AKA Vacunita
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Behind the Web, Tips and Tricks for Web Development.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back