Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows2000 and dual NIC's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Camm

Technical User
Feb 8, 2002
US
I am running 2 diff connections, ADSL and Cable, been running it for months.. I just noticed that when I disable one of the Network cards, the other connection gets way faster speeds than it did when there were 2 NIC's enabled in the machine. I have tried many other NIC's thinking it was brand or something.. Maybe there's a setting I need to add? Doesn't seem right that both connections slow down when they are both active at same time...

Go to your command prompt and do some tracing
only one work, two don't work together

i did it myself, only one work, the other one is putting load on your OS

But it's OK to have 2 NIC's still ?
1 LAN and 1 WAN ??
Doesn't make sence then why have Multiconnection Linking software available if two NIC cards load the OS down... hrmm
There's gotta be a way.. :)

look at your routing table (route /print).... It may be that you have two default GW's in a multi-homed setup. This is o.k. for redundancy, but I have never seen a system run slower with it. I runa server with 6 nic's in it. 3 internal lans, 1 for ISDN, 1 for xDSL, and 1 for a cluster config. Everything works fine here. Check routing, this is what it sounds like to me.

yes like monlite said you need to check your routing table
i know NT 4.0 doesn't work too well with two GW

i have two nic my self on the laptop, one land, one wireless, but i only able only at the time
beside my DSL has a ten time better hops than my cable, i have to go thru at least 10 to 12 hops before i get out to the real internet, so i cancel my cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back