Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

windows xp

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiernanf

Technical User
Oct 14, 2001
US
Is it worth switching from Windows 98 to Windows XP. I still miss my DOS 6.22 (never had any problems with DOS).

As long as you're not having any problems, I would say no. Windows XP is more reliable, but for me, the difference was negligible because Win98 was already pretty stable. However, XP does have some extra features, so it depends what your situation is.

I also had some doubts, but to tell you the truth Xp is way better then 98 ever was...
XP is easier to modify and setup, and for some reason it runs faster...I'd say go for it... I have not failed; I merely found 100,000 different ways of not succeding...

Contrary to popular opinion you can run old dos programs under XP. Each DOS program can have it's own autoexec.bat file and Config.sys file. More of a virtual dos enviroment.
As far as updating XP is the future of computing no matter what most think. Take control of your life, not someone else's

Umm, i'm kinda confused here...I formated my drive to an NTFS system, and I still get access to the DOS...its not called DOS, its called C:
Is that the sam thing?? I haven't used it yet... I have not failed; I merely found 100,000 different ways of not succeding...

No it's not actually DOS, it's an emulation of DOS. You should be able to do just about everything the same as before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back