Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

windows xp

Status
Not open for further replies.

defreib

IS-IT--Management
Oct 15, 2003
US
I loaded XP but did not unload the previous version of windows 2000. Is there away to remove windows 2000 without formatting the entire drive. I have HD space issues.

Thanks in advance

Even if you could do it, you'd be better off formatting and starting again.

If upgraded, then I'd just start again. If you installed into different folder (which by default you would - 2k defaults to \winnt, XP to \windows), then you should now have a dual boot menu when you start up. You can remove 2k in this scenario by editing boot.ini in the root of C: to remove the 2k entry and more importantly, you can delete the \winnt folder. However, \program files will still contain apps you installed under 2k (though they won't be available in xp) - so you should manually delete these (if you want then to run in xp, will need to reinstall).

Question - how large is the hard drive? Drives are not expensive - might be worth investing in a new one.

the thing i did was really un-installed all then loaded my XP... i'm afraid if i'll be having problems along the way coz i just know a bit about computer softwares... gladly it work out just fine...

Depends whether XP installed on WINDOWS or WINNT. If it installed on WINDOWS and 2K installed on WINNT. Check where it has stuck the users. On 2K, it sometimes goes into WINNT\profiles on XP it goes to Documents and Settings. Sometimes these installations try to be clever and do a 50-50 job. It reuses the profiles created by the previous OS so your profiles may be in WINNT but the rest of the OS is in WINDOWS. If you just remove WINNT, you will lose all your users and may not be able to log in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back