Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WINDOWS XP WONT TURN OFF!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevmacca

Vendor
Apr 30, 2003
GB
HEY, I HAVE WINDOWS XP AND IT WILL NOT TURN OFF AND I THINK IVE TRIED EVERYTHING. iT WILL NOT RESTART EITHER WHEN YOU TRY TO DO IT THROUGH THE START MENU. PLEASE HELP ME...
CHEERS KEV

In the Bios enable Advanced Power Options, disable legacy USB support, disable PnP support.

In XP Control Panel, Power Options, enable advanced power option.

i enabled the legacy USB supprt, but i dont know where the disable PnP is???and where abouts in Power Options, is enable advanced power option?
cheers kev

Is XP PRO by the way if it makes any difference?

Disable legacy USB support in BIOS, not enable.
If you do not have a BIOS option regarding PnP, fine.
If you do have a BIOS option to enable advanced power support, enable it.

Then from Windows, Start, Settings, Control Panel, Power Options, PM, enable power management.

You should also check using Device Manager. Start, Settings, Control Panel, System, Hardware, Device Manager.

Select View, Show all hidden devices.

Expand the tree for My Computer, and also System Devices.

Do you see a red x on NT/Legacy APM, or on any PM device, or on any APCI device? See if clicking on the icon and checking properties allows you to enable it.

Mine has just started to do this over the last couple of days, the device manager seems to be all working with no red x's.

When I try to shut down the XP window appears (like in the startup, blue background) then it just returns to the desktop after 3 seconds

Any help will be appreciated

Badley

Try:

Start, Run, CMD
Type: shutdown -f -s

Does it shutdown?

MSCONFIG--selective startup--uncheck load startup group items--reboot
Could be something in your startup group

bcastner (IS/IT--Manageme),

This works fine

badley,

If that command worked fine you have a process running that refuses to quit.

You can use Task Manager to isolate the mal-performing process. Close them down 1 at a time and then try a reboot. When the reboot works you have found the faulty process. It is up to you to find out if you can't live without it, or better yet try the software maker's tech support.

In the alternative you can create a batch file with the command I can you above. If you change the -s to -r you have asked for a reboot. So, I batch file to reboot, one to shutdown.

Follow Linney's link and see if any of it applies to your box. This can often solve the problem. Finally if you Google for "xp shutdown utillity" you will find tons of them as freeware. Now you do not have to write any batch files.

Hi all,

I found a couple of reghacks, that mighht bring help:

1) The standard timeout for kicking out hanging processes is 20secs. This can be changed under:

"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SYSTEM \ ControlSet001 \ Control"

There the key named “WaitToKillServiceTimeOut” needs to be changed to an other value in milliseconds. The default value of 20000 stands for the described 20 secs.

To find the ideal value, some experimenting is needed. Generally, a value of 3000 or 4000 is doing fine.

There are two other values, that have influence on the shutdown:

"WaitToKillAppTimeout" and "HungAppTimeout"

They both can be found under:

"HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ ControlPanel \ Desktop"

Here also some experimenting is needed. To test, you can open a winword document and shutdown windows. Now, you can check how much time you've left to save your doc, before windows is trying to close winword.

Finally, the value named "AutoEndTask" has an importance.

Often, background tasks are blocking and slowing down the shutdown. XP asks before closing them. If you generally answer this question with "yes" you can automise this.

Therefor, change the value under "HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Control Panel \Desktop" for "AutoEndTask" to "1".

If the entry is not there yet, you will have to generate the entry manually.

I played around a bit with these settings, and made quite good experiences. Be aware, that editing the registry is not an easy task, and should be done with care. Create backups of your settings, before changing values!

Have a good time,

Doela

Doela,

You can make any of the changes you suggested as parameters to the shutdown.exe program that is included in XP without having to directly edit the registry. The delay factor is set with the -t parameter; control over service and process shutdown with -f. Either as a batch file or an edited shortcut to shutdown.exe you likely can do anything you want using just the Windows utility. In addition there are tons of freeware shutdown applications that can be Googled by "xp shutdown utility".

And, in a related note, the registry changes you are making to the Control001 set are misplaced. The changes would need to be made to the CurrentControl set.

Shutdown and restart problems should be investigated to make certain they are not symptoms of deeper problems. A misidentified power model during XP's installation, and even a corrupt registry can be the root cause of problems.

I think it ill-advised for badley in this thread to think about registry edits at this time. As his problem just started he should begin at this site:
Hopefully it is just a sticky process that refuses the request to close. That is why the "-f" parameter in shutdown could shutdown his system: it forces applications to close after giving them the default 20 seconds of wait time to do so on their own.

Hi Bcastner,

you are right, I'm sorry about the wrong reg-link. Of course, the change should be made in the CurrentControlSet.

I agree, that these changes should be made in the most secure way, so probably the way you suggested is more efficient.

However thanks a lot for the helpful link!

Have a good day,

Doela

Doela,

No problem. The best registry site for hacking shutdown is actually in the section of the hive dealing with Desktop settings.

This an other shutdown/restart problems can be checked as well at my other favorite checklist site for XP issues with shutdown/restart:

Bcastner,

thanks a lot for the useful links!

May I ask a personal question? What kind of work are you doing? Have you reached any certificates (MCP, MCSE, etc.)?

Regards,

Doela

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back