Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows XP Winpopup??

Status
Not open for further replies.

tezza

Technical User
May 16, 2001
AU
Just a quick question guys...
Do you know what to use in Windows XP to communicate over a LAN instead of Windows 98's Winpopup

Tezza

The Messenger service and net send commands. Marc Creviere

Do you know how to set these up... because I a have a LAN between win xp and 2000, I tried NetMeeting, but that is a didgy program... does 2000 have messenger or can I just download MS messenger... and I have never heard abnout net send... any help would be cool.

Thanks
Tezza

Net send is used from a shell - like this:

net send <computername> <message>

Typing net send /? will give you the syntax.

There are a few small apps that will do this from a GUI for you. I wrote one in VB, it's actually quite easy.

The Messenger service is started by default, just check your Services list. The message that is sent to another 2k system will pop up in a small dialog box on the destination system. Nate Gagne
ngagne@numa-inc.com

Like my post? Let me know it was helpful!

Thanks Nate,

I'll have to go try. I don't spose you know what protocol is the best to use for a small home network between two computers. One is XP, the other 2000. Using a UTP cable.

Thanks again

Tezza

I would recommend NetBeui and TCP/IP. There are plenty of people here who would choose IPX, but I do not have any experience in that area and from what I can gather, it's not a good choice.

Nate Gagne
nathan.gagne@verizon.net

Like my post? Let me know it was helpful!

Thanks Nate, I'll set that up and give it a shot then.

Tezza

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back