Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows Xp will not Completely Boot or boot into safe mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

pannjack

Technical User
Apr 8, 2005
US
Windows Xp installed on a Compaq Presario 2100 will not boot past the windows screen. (Seq is as follows Windows inital boot screen, then the compaq splash screen, Then the windows screen again (the one that loads right before the desktop comes up)at his point the windows screen just sits and animates.)
There is some activity on the hard drive lights up.
Attempts to repair
Tried last config -same result
Tried using the Repair option - same result

After usin the repair option and attempting to boot to safe
mode- same result.

I can see the Directory structure using the command prompt.

Heres my real problem

I need to copy the files from my documents ,outlook, calander, and contact from the hard drive.
When I try to access these files from the command prompt i get access denied .
Is there a way around this?
what will happen if i change the Attrib on the directory or is this even possible?
and if this is possible how can i get to the my documents folder to remove the data i need.
Thanks Much for any help

Have you tried running ChkDsk /r from the Recovery Console. You can also get free diagnostic software from the Hard Drive manufacturer.

You might be able to make use of BartPE (a mini XP self contained on a bootable CD and run from CD).

The same might be possible with a parallel install of XP.

266465 - HOW TO: Perform a Parallel Installation of Windows 2000

You can do the same with XP. Don't install any unnecessary programs just some virus scanners, keep the parallel installation as simple as possible.

Or the paragraph in this article.

"To install Windows XP to a new folder (to perform a parallel installation):"

How to install or upgrade to Windows XP

Another alternative is trying to access this hard drive in another machine.

I have a question....did you use SFC /scannow before these problems occurred?????

I am using a Gigabyte board with the Nvidia NForce2 chipset. I ran tests with this and found (even after a clean install…formatted and first use of XP) if SFC /Scannow is used the next boot after that took a couple of minutes or more....LOL....

if I loaded the drivers for the Nvidia NForce2 chipset after the SFC /Scannow I get the same symptoms you are describing...I even tried the repair/reload of windows xp and that just created a reboot cycle that won't even let you get to safe mode

To tell you the truth I don't know if this is related to XP with SP2 slipstreamed into the install CD
I have not tested that yet (somewhat time consuming and real life is waaaay too demanding)

hey good luck and follow Linney's advice...though chkdsk did not do the anything for me but a parallel installation and then network your data to another computer will get your data to a safe area so you can do a complete restore or clean install (I saw you are using a laptop)

if I have time I will be reposting this reply as it's own thread. I am kind of curious on how deep this issue may be.
I kind of feel this may be a significant issue for XP SP2

Thanks All for your help
I found that on the 15th running of the repair disk I did manage to complete the boot. I did manage to repair the disk this way. Now my question is did each running repair a part of the tracks im still confused a bit as to why it took so many runs of the repair. thanks again for your help

Seriously plan on replacing the hard disk very soon.
Very soon.

Repair installations just don't always work and sometimes you need to do a full reinstallation. You were lucky that your persistence paid off. While it may be a hard drive going downhill, I'd be hesitant to diagnose this without more info. Try the following before replacing your HDD:

1. Run Scandisk (not CHKDSK) and you will be able to see a visual display which will show bad clusters. There's no magic number, but if you only see 2 or 3 bad clusters, then it's probably not your HDD, unless you run Scandisk again a week later and you see more bad clusters.

2. If the HDD is a Seagate drive, go to and download SeaTools. Then run SeaTools to check the status of your drive. I think that Maxtor and other major HDD mfrs have similar utilities available for their drives. Before running one of these utilities, check your BIOS to see if it supports SMART. If so, be sure SMART is enabled.

3. You can also use a utility such as Smartfan to read the SMART info. Smartfan and similar utilities are more like manual transmissions (lots of info) whereas the manufacturer's utilities are automatic transmissions (usually just the bottom line - is the HDD in good condition or not).

S

Shinken,

Scandisk might have problems with NTFS and not being native to XP, would require FAT32 and running from a 9x Startup Disk and DOS.

ChkDsk will produce a log in the Event Viewer. Use the view / filter option and search for Winlogon in the Event Viewer (Application Folder).

Linney,

Oops, you're right about Scandisk. I just did this on a Win98 reinstall yesterday and when I replied to this query, I forgot that it was not XP - either a brain fart or I'm getting senile.

S

Shinken,

But your instincts are good. Most drive manufacturers have freeware diagnostic utility disks on their websites for download, and these can help.

One enumeration of sites:

bcastner,

I'm always looking for new tools. bootdisk.com looks interesting. I'll explore it in a day or two when I have some time to do it without rushing.

Regards,

S

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back