Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows XP will not boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

rigger321

Technical User
May 21, 2005
GB
Hey all. i have a HP laptop. i left it on all of last night as i was downloading a film. when i looked at it this morning the screen was blank and the laptop would not respond.

i forced it to shut down by holding down the power button, but now the computer hangs during startup (when the windows logo appears and the blue line scrolls accross) and i have to force it to shutdown again.

i have tried starting the laptop in safe mode, but that also causes it to hang.

i then reset the bios to default settings, but to no avail.

i have checked that the HDD is okay using the self diagnostic in BIOS. the laptop didnt come with a proper XP CD just a recovery disc (but i cannot use this as the laptop wont boot up far enough to use it) i had a couple of bootleg copies of XP kicking around, so i put them in to try and boot off the CD but both of them are seem to have corrupted files, so they wont work either.

and i am now completely lost for ideas. so i turn to you guys. what action would you take next?

Have you tried "Last Known Good Configuration" from the "Advanced Startup" menu (the screen where you would choose to boot into Safe Mode)?

Joey
CCNA, MCP, A+, Network+, Wireless#

Joey, yes. i have also tried all of the other configurations in there aswell (i think one said somthing about boot logging etc) but all either hang or make the laptop re-start.

thanks for your efforts tho. i was wondering wether i should get in touch with HP and see if its possible to get the XP recovery CD?

I'm wondering if HD is really ok. Have you got a PC you could connect it to - to run chkdsk and drive manufacturer's diagnostic. The sort of symptoms you have sound like hard drive failure to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back